Style > Fashion

Hailey Bieber’s new capsule collection sparks conversation about timeless fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

This fall season, Hailey Bieber recently launched her new clothing line based on the idea of a capsule wardrobe.

The collection is a collaboration with WARDROBE.NYC and aims to include timeless pieces that can be mixed and matched in just about any combination.

It includes clothing items like a black blazer, a white blouse and a pair of trousers.

According to an article from Harper’s Bazaar, each garment is made in Europe with Italian textiles.

The catch is that the eight-piece collection costs about 5000 dollars.

Hailey Bieber’s new capsule collection raises the question: Are people starting to ditch following fashion trends on social media to buy these “timeless” pieces instead?

Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) film student, Vivien Jin, says Bieber’s capsule collection seems restricting.

“I like a more maximalist look, so this [collection] wouldn’t work out very well for me.”

“I have a lot of pieces that are very maximalist, but I would personally still consider them timeless because I’ve had them for a very long time and will continue to have them for a very long time,” Jin said.

“[For] somebody who still wants to explore different styles and aesthetics and is searching for the style they like, then this capsule wardrobe would not work out very well for them,” they said.

Jin also says that Bieber’s collection only targets a certain demographic.

“I also think that with a lot of these timeless pieces, if you want them to last a long time, they have to be very high quality. The idea of a capsule wardrobe is very much geared towards higher middle-class people,” they said.

Third-year TMU student and aspiring fashion journalist, Haley Sengsavanh, says the idea of timeless fashion is very subjective.

“I think that the idea of a timeless piece is different for everyone,” said Sengsavanh. 

“For example, one of my really classic pieces is a two-teared red pleated skirt. And that’s not necessarily considered a classic, but within my closet, it’s something that I get a lot of wear out of, so it’s totally worth the purchase,” she said. 

Sengsavanh says that maintaining a balance between buying trendy items and classic staple clothing pieces is tricky.

“It’s difficult to strike a balance between getting something that’s really nice quality and that you’ll wear for a really long time versus something that’s really nice and still kind of trendy that you can play around with,” she said.

She encourages other students to buy staple pieces they can afford and only follow a fashion trend if they are actually interested in it.

“I think that as much as having a set of good staples is important, it also doesn’t have to be very expensive, especially for students,” said Sengsavanh. 

“People finding what their style is, what they consider to be a classic and what works best with their wardrobe is really important to having a really nice, curated closet that doesn’t cost that much and that you can definitely mix and match and play around with.”

💛Related: How to build the perfect capsule wardrobe

🧡Related: Sustainable fashion gaining popularity in Canada amid climate concerns

Aneesa Bhanji

Toronto MU '25

Aneesa Bhanji is a journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She is passionate about writing, graphic design and all things storytelling! In her free time she loves to binge-watch her favourite Netflix shows and explore different parts of Toronto.