This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Friday, Feb 4, marks the opening of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China. 

Despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Olympic Games are still set to run, but with a few restrictions in place. For Team Canada specifically, all athletes will be vaccinated, strict screening and testing will be in place and no tickets will be sold to the general public. 

Over the course of two weeks, thousands of athletes from 91 countries will compete in 109 different events, covering seven distinct sports. The seven sports include biathlon, bobsledding, curling, ice hockey, luge, skating and skiing. With numerous events taking place––some at the exact same time––and the 13-hour time difference, it can be easy to miss key events. 

One way to stay on top of all the events is to download the Olympics app, available on the App Store or Google Play Store. The app provides a complete schedule for every single event, so you know exactly when your favourite sport takes place. In addition, the app also provides news stories, medal counts and updates on Team Canada and your favourite athletes. 

Having the Olympics app is the best way to stay knowledgeable about all things Olympics. But if you’re more of a casual fan or not sure where to start, here are some key events/athletes that you definitely don’t want to miss!

Opening Ceremony 

The opening ceremony, which takes place on Feb. 4, marks the kickoff of the Olympic Games and is a great way to see all the participating countries and their athletes. The opening ceremony includes welcome speeches, the parade of athletes as they wave their country’s flag and the traditional dances of Beijing. The opening ceremony will be broadcasted live at 6:30 am EST on CBC, or in the CBC Sports app. 

Figure Skating 

The Canadian figure skating team has always been a powerhouse at the Olympics, with ice dance pairs such as Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, and men’s single Patrick Chan, dominating. However, with those athletes all retired, the spotlight now turns toward ice dance pair, Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, and men’s single Keegan Messing

These figure skaters proved worthy at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Championships, earning 1st place in their categories. The shiny costumes, intricate choreography and vast selection of music, makes figure skating a must-see event. Figure skating events will begin on Feb. 4 until the 20th. Exact dates and times can be found on the Olympics website.

Curling

Team Canada has also dominated curling, with both the men’s and women’s team winning gold in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Canada has earned a total of 11 medals, including six gold, which makes them the most successful curling nation in Winter Olympic history. 

This year, all eyes are on the mixed doubles event, in which two-time Olympic gold medalists John Morris and Rachel Homan will compete. The strategy mixed with suspense and excitement makes curling a sport you don’t want to miss. Curling events will begin on Feb. 2 (before the opening ceremony) until the 20th. Exact dates and times can be found on the Olympics website.

While the opening ceremony, skating and curling are key events to watch, there are still way more. So, grab your hot drink of choice, prop your feet up and enjoy the jam-packed two weeks of winter sports!

Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.