Halloween graphic feautring beetlejuice, heathers and sweeny todd
Aditi Roy

Five Spooky Musicals to Watch this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

If you’re searching for something to get you into the Halloween spirit, look no further

Beetlejuice

Based on the 1988 Tim Burton film of the same name, Beetlejuice is a Halloween classic. A new comedy-musical which came to Broadway in 2019 and gained popularity online, Beetlejuice tells the story of a recently deceased couple who become ghosts haunting their former home. They receive help from an unpleasant, deceitful poltergeist named Betelgeuse after a new family moves in. The show focuses on Lydia, the strange teenage daughter who’s life is changed after meeting Beetleguese. The weird and spectacular musical is enhanced by the dynamic visual effects and upbeat music. Comedic and light-hearted yet still paranormal, Beetlejuice is a great watch this Halloween. The original movie is available to stream on Netflix. Multiple versions of the production are available online and the cast recording is available on Spotify.

Sweeney Todd

Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler adapted the 1973 play of the same name into the well-known musical which opened on Broadway in 1979. The show won Best Musical along with many other Tony’s and awards. Loosely based on Victorian popular fiction, Sweeney Todd tells the story of a deranged English barber who murders his patrons with a straight razor. Their bodies are then baked into meat pies and sold to the people of London. The story is filled with psychological revenge, accompanied with violence and a romantic subplot. The musical includes multiple musical styles and has been described by Sondheim as “being like the soundtrack to a classic horror film.” The musical was adapted to film in 2007, starring Johnny Depp and Helana Bonhem-Carter, and is available to stream on Paramount+ and Hulu Plus. A variety of productions can be found online and the cast recording of both the original production and movie are available on Spotify. 

Carrie

Based on Stephen King’s 1974 novel Carrie and following the 1976 movie release, Carrie came to Broadway in 1988. The story focuses on Carrie, a subdued teenager who is ridiculed by her classmates and her extremely religious mother. After strange events occur, she realizes she possesses telekinetic powers. When humiliated at her high school prom, she decides to take matters into her own hands and enact revenge on those who have wronged her. This horror musical is able to encapsulate the creepiness and terror of both the novel and movie before it. Special effects along with a thrilling soundtrack set the dreadful tone. The film is available to stream on Shudder or to buy and rent online. Multiple stage productions are available on Youtube and online, along with the cast recording on Spotify.

Heathers

Based on the 1989 film, Heathers is a rock musical which moved off-Broadway in 2014. The show’s dark comedy focuses on bullying, suicide, sexual assault and school violence. The story follows Veronica Sawyer, an intelligent teenage misfit, who finds her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at her highschool, the Heathers. After getting involved with an outsider named JD, Veronica finds herself in a world of crime. Multiple murders take place throughout the show and are accompanied by off-colour comedy. Heathers features upbeat, edgy and witty songs with an emotional core. The movie is available on Amazon Prime and multiple productions of the musical are available online. The cast recording is available on Spotify.

Little Shop of Horrors 

Little Shop of Horrors is a horror-comedy musical based on the 1960 film of the same name. The musical premiered off-Broadway in 1982 and was adapted into a movie-musical in 1986. The plot follows shy flower shop apprentice Seymour as he longs for his co-worker Audrey. He comes across a strange plant and names it Audrey II, which feeds only on human flesh and blood. The plant grows rapidly and significantly improves the store’s business. After Seymour feeds Audrey’s boyfriend to the plant after his accidental death, he is tasked with finding more bodies for the increasingly bloodthirsty plant. Catchy and comedic songs offset the dark undertones of the show, creating a light-hearted horror. The 1986 movie is available to stream on HBO Max and Amazon Prime. Multiple productions of the stage version can be found online, while both the stage and movie cast recordings are available on Spotify. 

🥰 Related: Halloween Costumes for Procrastinators
🥰 Related: 4 Blockbusters Shot in Toronto and Around Campus
Nalyn Tindall

Toronto MU '25

Nalyn is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University, originally from Camrose, Alberta. She is loving living in Toronto and can often be found exploring the city with her friends. When not at a concert or finding new places to eat or take photos, she's probably watching videos or listening to music. She has a love of house plants, her cat, and snacks, as well as a passion for politics and social change which have inspired her to pursue journalism.