This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Spring is officially here! It’s a great time to explore all the outdoor activities the city has to offer. Here are five things to do in Toronto during the springtime that are completely free

Evergreen’s Saturday Farmers Market 
Every Saturday throughout the year, there is a farmers market at Evergreen Brick Works that allows Toronto locals to connect to Ontario farmers. The market operates outdoors from May to November, and indoors from November to April. The Evergreen Farmers Market is the largest in the city, so you are bound to find great seasonal and local produce there.

Address: 550 Bayview Ave

The Bentway’s “STREET” Installation 
Starting on May 26 and continuing until August 21, The Bentway is offering free art installations, performances, conversations and celebrations for the public. The theme “STREET” is meant to invite people to see the streets of Toronto differently, taking into account the impact the COVID-19 pandemic has had on how we view public spaces. 

Address: 250 York Blvd.

GPSmyCity’s Self-Guided Walking Tour 
Want to learn more about historical buildings in Toronto, tour the Toronto Islands, or discover the architecture of Cabbagetown? Check out GPSmyCity’s self-guided walking tours. This app offers 13 sightseeing walking tours around Toronto. The app is completely free to download, and each tour is typically under two hours long. 

Go on a hike
Toronto has many trails for all levels of hikers that are completely free to access. There is also a lot of variety in the trails you can choose from. If you’re more into hiking alongside urban scenery with places to stop for coffee, The West Toronto Railpath might be the trail for you. If you prefer a more nature-focused hike, the Gus Harris trail may be more your speed. All Trails has an excellent list of trails in Toronto along with each trail’s level of difficulty. 

High Park Cherry Blossoms 
Visiting High Park to see the Cherry Blossoms is a staple during springtime in Toronto. The cherry blossoms last for about a week to a week and a half, depending on the weather. High Park recommends checking out the cherry blossoms in late April or early May. The trees are located around Hillside Gardens, as well as by the Duck Pond. Try to get there as early as you can – this is a popular attraction! 

Address: 1873 Bloor St W

Tip: There are also 30 Japanese Cherry trees on Centre Island (located near the south end of the bridge near the fountain, according to the High Park website). If you want to avoid the huge crowds that High Park can generate during cherry blossom season, this is a great alternative.

Sarah Sparks

Toronto MU '23

Sarah is a Creative Industries student at Ryerson University. She is passionate about many things, especially film. She can generally be found attempting to say hi to dogs on the street, quoting Fleabag to herself, or watching any version of SKAM she can find with english subtitles.