Life > Experiences

Finding Yourself: Why You Need to Travel in Your 20s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

You only get to experience your 20s once, and then it’s over. However, being in your 20s can be challenging because of expectations to be at a certain point and reach specific goals. But life doesn’t always work out that way, and honestly, it’s for the better. 

A huge part of the transition from becoming a teenager to an adult is about learning tough lessons and experiencing inevitable struggles, but is there a better way to experience this than on a beach across the world?

Travelling in your 20s can make finding yourself a little easier. It doesn’t necessarily mean going somewhere for a change of scenery; it leans into the idea of cultivating your mindset to help you grow as a person. 

It exposes you to new cultures, diverse perspectives, and new ways of life, which can help solidify what you like and what you don’t particularly enjoy. Allowing yourself to take this step can be scary, but it’s a transformative journey that compels you to confront the unknown. 

Your 20s are a time of experimentation, a period when you’re figuring out who you are and what you want. It’s the time to acknowledge what fuels your passion — whether it’s discovering a love for outdoor activities, a hobby for visiting historical sites, or a taste for local art scenes — each journey becomes a stepping stone in finding yourself. 

One of the most enriching experiences of travelling is creating those global opportunities filled with different interests and backgrounds that allow you to see a life beyond your familiar bubble of home. 

It fosters new ways of learning, including exposure to new customs, traditions, music, and food, which ironically becomes clear of the shared humanity that connects us all. 

Everyone around the world has hopes and dreams — whether it’s the locals in the small town of Cortona, Italy, or a fellow traveller passing by. 

These connections contribute to a global network that transcends beyond borders. The diverse perspectives shared during these contacts deepen your appreciation of the world around you and often result in lifelong friendships

In addition to these incredible new profound experiences, you’re surrounded by unimaginable creativity. A new environment can immerse you in different ways of art through delicious cuisines and breathtaking landscapes, which can serve as catalysts for creativity. 

This new mentality can challenge our preconceived ideas and foster innovative ones. Through all the hardships in this world, travelling can spark the creativity we all hopelessly desire. 

In the end, it’s the memories created on our travels that will leave a lasting impact on our lives. This indescribable feeling of travelling lies not just in the destinations visited but in the lessons learned, the connections forged, and the stories written along the way. 

So pack your bags, let the journey unfold, and create those unforgettable memories in your 20s.

Kassandra Guevara

Toronto MU '26

Kassandra, a second-year journalism student, is a passionate traveller who can't resist the allure of social media, live music, and exploring the vibrant streets of Toronto. Kassandra can be found dancing to the rhythm of concerts and enthusiastically sharing her adventures and vibrant moments of the city she loves. Find her on Instagram @kassandraguevara_