Everything You Need To Throw An Award-Winning Oscar Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Hollywood’s biggest night out, aka the Oscars, will be held on Sun. March 27. What better way to celebrate it than to throw an Oscar-themed party? Follow these tips below to successfully host your own Oscars party worthy of its own award!

First things first, you need to send out invitations. Put together a sparkly, handwritten invitation, or, if you prefer, a virtual one. Even if you’re just throwing a party with your roommates or family, sending out invitations is a fun and great way to kick-off your Oscar party. 

After you send out invitations, you are ready to decorate your party area. Any colour scheme will do but go with gold, black and white if you want to embody the Oscars. Put up some balloons and head to your local party store for fun movie props, such as a clapperboard or a decorating set. If you’re feeling fancy, purchase a red carpet or use a red blanket!

You can’t have an Oscar party without snacks, right? Since it’s an award show all about movies, you should have popcorn. Old fashioned butter popcorn always does the trick, but if you’re feeling fancy, try making this sweet & salty version, instead. In addition to popcorn, you can also get creative with your snacks by making chocolate-covered strawberries. The irresistible combination of sweet strawberries mixed with smooth chocolate makes this treat a must-have!

Once you have your food and decor, you’re ready to start your party! As your guests begin to arrive, play soundtracks/songs nominated for awards this year to get everyone in the spirit. Good options include Disney’s Encanto and music from the film Don’t Look Up. Also, if you decide to use a red carpet, now’s your chance to take pictures of your guests. 

Before the show begins, invite your guests to fill out an Oscar nomination ballot. Not only is it fun to predict who will win, but you can also turn it into a competition. Every member can pay $5.00, for example, and by the end, the winner gets all the money! This is a great way to keep everyone excited, making the Oscars that much more fun. 

By following these tips, you’ll have a great Oscar party that you’ll never forget! Enjoy the award show, and most importantly, enjoy the memories you’re about to make!

Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.