Everything You Need to Know About Serums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

You’ve probably heard of serums before. You know, those pretty little bottles of liquid that sound really important for your skin care and you think Oh, I should really try this!, but then you look at the price tag and decide that maybe you don’t need this after all? (Or maybe that’s just me.) If you want to know more about serums before deciding which one is right for you before making the splurge, here’s a simple guide:

Serums are liquids with high concentrations of active ingredients that bring a variety of benefits to your skin on a cellular level. These benefits may include fighting signs of aging, hydrating, brightening and smoothing the complexion. Though they might feel like lightweight moisturizers and often contain hydrating ingredients, lotion, and cream moisturizers are more effective for regular hydrating–don’t replace them with serum.

Serums deliver highly concentrated ingredients deep into your skin and they exist for every skin concern. Use them to prevent wrinkles, eliminate dark spots, brighten dull complexion, treat acne, and more.

Since there are so many different serums for different purposes, you should first identify the concerns you want your serum to help you tackle. The main things serums help with are giving your skin general protection, hydration, brightening, firming, smoothing and repairing.

For daytime protection, choose a serum that is rich in antioxidants, such as vitamins C, A, and E. They protect your skin against environmental damage. Generally speaking, the more antioxidants in the formula, the better the protection.

To fight dry skin, using a hydrating serum is a must. They deliver hydrating ingredients deep into the skin, helping it retain moisture and making your moisturizers more effective. The key ingredient to look for is hyaluronic acid; it’s one of the most hydrating compounds in the world, being able to hold a thousand times its weight in water (!).

There are so many options out there for serums to brighten a dull complexion, from exfoliating acids to naturally occurring brighteners. Serums with lactic acid, vitamin C, and licorice root are your best bets for brightening.

Peptides are the most important ingredients to firm aging skin, as they stimulate collagen and elastin that keep your skin plump. Collagen and elastin production slows as we age, and this process usually begins in your mid- to late-twenties.

To smooth your skin’s texture, go for serums with exfoliating acids such as alpha and beta hydroxy acids (AHAs and BHAs). They help with uneven texture caused by acne, scarring and aging.

Retinol is one of the most important ingredients to have in your skincare routine. It’s the most recommended ingredient by dermatologists and aestheticians, especially for anti-aging and acne treatment. It’s a great idea to have a good retinol serum in your nighttime routine, as it helps speed up cell turnover, increases collagen production, and overall repairs your skin cells.

Here is a visual guide to serums, complete with recommended products!

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH