Easy Environmental Changes You Can Make Before Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Every day is Earth Day. 

Well, not technically, but you know what I mean. 

It seems that once a year, on April 22, people all over the world take to social media to show their love for our planet. They have an earth hour, limit their waste, and try to raise awareness about our endangered world. But then on April 23, they go back to their old habits.

I get it, not everyone has the time, money and energy to completely change their lifestyle and switch to a more sustainable one. But no one’s asking you to. Instead, try making small changes in your life. 

Celebrate Earth Day every single day by following these simple tips. Even one small environmental change in your life can make a significant impact. 

Use reusable items 

Using reusable items is an easy switch that you can make to not only help the environment, but save money. Swap out your plastic water bottles, drinking straws and grocery bags to reusable or paper options.

Limit your amount/length of showers

I get it, taking long, warm showers is wonderful. But they also waste a lot of water. Try limiting your showers to five minutes or less, and limit how many showers you take to one a day. 

Shop local as much as possible

While it’s tempting to go on Amazon and buy everything you see, the emissions from shipping vehicles and the product waste are really bad for the environment. Instead, try to shop at small businesses and local grocery stores as much as you can. 

Limit your light use

Another change you can make is limiting your light use. Once you leave a room, turn off the lights. It seems so simple, yet so many people leave lights on needlessly. Also, try to use natural light from your windows during the day. 

Sign petitions and get educated

Signing petitions, attending webinars and reading environmental books are all great tools to educate yourself. It’s a quick and easy way to support change and create a difference in your life.

Making small changes may not seem like much, but it can go a long way, especially when lots of people partake in them. Remember, you don’t have to wait until Earth Day to be environmentally conscious. Start today, and live every day like it’s Earth Day, because it really is! 

Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.