body images 2020 01 21 ashton mullins j1HU Oll7KI unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 21 ashton mullins j1HU Oll7KI unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Classic Barbie Movies You Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Barbie.

When you hear that word, do you feel nostalgic? I sure do. My childhood was full of Barbie. I still remember playing with the dolls, dressing up like a princess and watching all the movies while singing along to the songs passionately.  

In case (somehow) you don’t know her, Barbie––full name Barbara Millicent Roberts––is the iconic doll that was created by Mattel, Inc. back in 1959.

Despite being loved worldwide, Barbie is the center of many controversies, so it makes sense that many people dislike her. Agreed, there are many problems with the concept of Barbie, as is the case with many things.

However today, we’ll be focusing on the positive memories many of us, including myself, have created with Barbie. Specifically, the classic Barbie movies.

At 18-years-old, I personally still love the classic Barbie movies— the modern ones, not so much. But the classic Barbie movies are ones I would re-watch any day and continue to watch because I just love them so much. Why do I love the Barbie movies? It could be the nostalgia that makes me love them. Or maybe it’s the heartwarming plot surrounding love and friendship. Or maybe it’s the strong female leads, who inspire courage and strength. No, maybe it’s the fun songs and dancing, or the beautiful dresses, or my insane love for pink. Or it might be that by watching something lighthearted, I can relieve my stress. I suppose the list goes on.

Maybe you love the classic Barbie movies and have watched all of them already, just like me. But maybe you’ve never seen one or just plain dislike them. Either way, here’s a short list of classic Barbie movies I recommend you watch:

(And if you really haven’t seen one, or just dislike them, I’d say give one a shot. Who knows? You might actually like them.) 

Barbie & the Diamond Castle

In the movie, Barbie and her friend Teresa recount a fairytale to teach the value of friendship to Stacie. The tale is about two music-loving best friends, Liana and Alexa, who discover an enchanted mirror that takes them on a dangerous journey to the Diamond Castle, so they can defeat the evil muse, Lydia. 

This movie is one of my favourites because it highlights the power of friendship, with strong female characters who come from humble beginnings. The movie has so many fun songs that still get stuck in my head, especially “Connected.” The plot is great, and it keeps me hooked to the very end, regardless of how many times I’ve watched it. Also, Lydia is a villain I sure do love to hate. A great first movie to watch if you’re new to the Barbie classics!

Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper 

This movie is based on Mark Twain’s novel, The Prince and the Pauper. In the movie, light-haired Princess Anneliese discovers her look-alike in dark-haired commoner Erika. There’s a terrible conspiracy that threatens the kind princess, and only her look-alike, humble Erika, can save her. The princess and the pauper end up switching places when the princess gets kidnapped! Join the princess and the pauper as they work together to thwart the evil plans of the Queen’s scheming advisor, Preminger. 

This movie is one of my favourites—I mean, it’s truly iconic! Once again, strong female leads take on the journey, showcasing the wonders of friendship. And as for the characteristic songs of the Barbie movies, this one, in particular, has a very famous song that has become a meme in this generation. Even if you haven’t seen this movie, you’ve probably seen the iconic “I Am A Girl Like You” song with the scene where they sing, “I’m just like you/You’re just like me” as it has been used as a meme countless times. I also very much like how the movie showcases class differences and how friendship can overcome such boundaries. Furthermore, the story shows that even being a royal princess isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

Barbie and The Three Musketeers

In this movie, Barbie stars as Corrine, a skilled fencer who wishes to become a fierce fighter.  She sets out with her cat and horse from Gascony to Paris, where she can become a musketeer. However, when she gets there, she discovers that girls are not allowed to be musketeers. This makes Corinne want to pursue her dream even more, and she’s surprised to find out that scullery maids Viveca, Aramina and Renée have the same dream. Together, they train secretly under an unexpected skilled fighter and work to defend Prince Louis from the threat he faces. Will these talented girls become the first female musketeers?

This classic is a wonderful feminist story of four girls setting out to break the barriers their society has created. I always admired the four musketeers for their courage, strength and determination to achieve their dreams. As a young girl, it inspired me a lot, and it remains inspiring to this day. Also, the training scenes are absolutely badass! Girl power to the max!

Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses

In this classic, Barbie stars as Princess Genevieve, one out of the twelve sisters who are princesses of the kingdom. Unfortunately, their mother passed away and their father, King Randolph, is concerned they lack a mother figure in their lives and so they would no longer have anyone to teach them proper etiquette. And so, he hires his cousin Duchess Rowena, who is to teach the girls about royal etiquette among other things. However, the Duchess turns out to be a cruel woman, who bans music and dancing for the sisters. Luckily, the twelve princesses discover a secret entrance to an enchanting world, a gift from their mother which provides them with refuge from the evil duchess. Will they be able to save their kingdom and escape from the clutches of Duchess Rowena?

This movie holds a special place in my heart. Growing up, my sisters and I sang the “Birthday Song” whenever it was someone’s birthday, just like the sisters in the movie. Even to this day, we sing this birthday song for each other. Other than the songs, this movie has such fun dances (obviously), and the heartwarming plot is just so well-written. And Duchess Rowena has to be one of the evilest villains to exist.

Barbie: Princess Charm School

In this movie, Barbie stars as Blair, a kind girl who makes ends meet as a waitress. She’s surprised when she gets picked to attend the prestigious Princess Charm School through the lottery, as her sister enters her name without telling her. Princess Charm School is an academy where girls train to become proper ladies and princesses. As she attends the school and learns  the etiquette of being a princess, Dame Devin, who is a teacher at the school, notices a resemblance between Blair and the missing heiress of Gardania… a title which she wants for her own daughter, Delancy. Could Blair really be the true heiress to the throne of Gardania?

I loved this movie so much when I was younger that it made me walk around the house with books on my head. Really, I did all the training to be a princess right alongside Blair. Her determination to succeed inspired me and continues to do so. The songs were so fun, especially “On Top of the World.” The intrigue and mystery of the plot kept me hooked, and the protagonists were all so loveable while the villains were perfectly wicked. 

Nayab Ahmar

Toronto MU '24

Nayab Ahmar is a second year Biomedical Sciences student at X University. On a free day, you can find her cozied up with a book and a cup of chai, or jamming to the latest Kpop song by her favourite groups. She is very passionate about the sciences and writing, and enjoys combining her two passions. Other than aspiring to work in healthcare and pursue a side career in writing, she also loves to practice the art of calligraphy whenever she can. Most of all, she loves finding happiness in the little things in life.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.