This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Sarah Do Couto

Consumers are paying more attention to ethical and fair trade brands nowadays. From clothing to food, people are beginning to care about the impact of their purchases. Why should makeup be any different? There are a number of cruelty-free drugstore brands which don’t test on animals and won’t break your bank. Here are some of my personal favourite cruelty-free makeup products that can be used to create a full face, for less than $20 each.

Foundation

NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation

NYX is one of my favourite brands. They are certified by PETA for their 100% cruelty-free cosmetics. The Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation is a great full coverage foundation that is sold at Walmart for $16.99. Its lightweight formula is easy to blend. This foundation is perfect for getting the best Instagram selfies, since it covers blemishes but doesn’t look cakey. It comes in 30 shades but be sure to test the colour before purchasing, since the packaging can be a bit deceiving. Be careful if you have dry skin because like many matte foundations, this formula is oil-free and may dry your face.

Concealer

NYX Gotcha Covered Concealer

This concealer is a must have in my makeup bag. It works great for covering my dark circles and blends easily. On days when I’m feeling lazy, I’ll only wear this concealer out of the house. The Gotcha Covered Concealer has a thicker solution, making it better at covering more prominent blemishes. There are 20 shades of this concealer which can be found at Walmart for $14.99.

Blush

Milani Baked Blush – Luminoso

Also available at Walmart is the Milani Baked Blush in the colour Luminoso for $18.99. I recommend this blush constantly to all of my friends. Like NYX, they are also certified by PETA. This product doesn’t disappoint either. With only one swatch, the blush instantly adds a shimmery pink colour to your skin. It is long lasting and completely guilt free.

Bronzer

Marcelle I-Bronze Bronzing Powder

Marcelle is a Canadian owned company which doesn’t test any of their products on animals. The Marcelle I-Bronze Bronzing Powder is available at Shopper Drug Mart for $14.99. This bronzer comes in 4 different shades and lasts longer than any bronzer I’ve ever used. It doesn’t leave a powdery residue on skin like many other bronzers I’ve tried in the past. This Marcelle bronzer gives a stylish matte finish to any sun kissed look.

Highlighter

E.L.F. Baked Highlighter – Blush Gem

E.L.F is one of the cheapest makeup brands around and better yet, they don’t test on animals. While some of their products have left me less than impressed, their baked highlighters were an exception. My favourite shade, Blush Gem, can be purchased at Walmart for $12.99. It can be applied wet or dry and doesn’t leave skin looking powdery. After all, no look is complete without highlight.

Eye Shadow

Annabelle Satin Eyeshadows

Owned by Marcelle, Annabelle is another cruelty-free company. Their single satin eyeshadow pots can be found at Walmart for only $4.76. I suggest getting a few of the satin shades like Burgundy, Foggy Grey or my personal favourite, Gleam. You can mix these eyeshadow pots to create a number of fun makeup looks with little shadow fallout. Since they are so cheap I recommend getting a few colors you enjoy in order to create the perfect smoky eye.

Eyeliner

Marcelle Double Precision Liquid Eyeliner Pen

I’ve never been a pro at using eyeliner but Marcelle’s double eyeliner pen makes it easy to get the perfect wing. With two ends, one thicker and one thinner, maneuvering the pen is easy. It is only available in the shade Intense Black and can be purchased at Shopper Drug Mart for $14.99.

Lip

NYX Butter Gloss

Arguably one of Nxy’s most popular items is their butter gloss. These lip glosses are cruelty-free and vegan. They have great pigment and aren’t sticky like other products. The Butter Glosses are scented too, leaving a delicious smell on your lips rather than a typical makeup chemical smell. There are 12 shades available but my favourite, Devil’s Food Cake, can be bought at Walmart for $12.99.

Brows

E.L.F. Instant Lift Brow Pencil

Another E.L.F product that surprised me was their brow pencil. For only $2.97 at Walmart, this pencil is easy to apply and looks great too. The comb can be used to tame brows while the fine tip liner can shape and fill to achieve the perfect eyebrow shape.

Lashes

Ardell Baby Wispies

A glam look is never complete without a pair of false lashes. Thankfully Ardell is a cruelty-free and vegan manufacturer that creates stunning falsies. The black Baby Wispies are my personal favourite and can be purchased for only $4.99 at Walmart.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH