This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The colour of the leaves changing, pumpkin spice lattes coming back in season and haunted houses opening up again can only mean only one thing: fall is here!

Fall is one of my favourite seasons. Although it’s always sad to kiss the hot summer weather goodbye, there is so much that autumn has to offer––and here are some of my favourite memories to prove it.

Halloween will always be one of my favourite days of the year. There’s something about screaming at the top of my lungs on the verge of tears that really gets me going. I remember going to Screemers when I was in Grade 12 — I was with my friends and we walked through a haunted house dedicated to slasher film characters. We went through a tunnel and saw a person dressed like Pennywise (If you don’t know who that is, it’s the freaky-looking clown from the movie It). Anyone who knows me knows I’m deathly afraid of clowns so this day was definitely one for the books. Dressing up for Halloween is another cherished fall memory of mine because it’s the one night a year I get to channel my favourite character and let my creativity shine.

I absolutely adore going to pumpkin patches, as well. I’ve only been once, but the feeling of being outside in the fresh autumn air is blissful. The first time I went was also my baby nephew’s first time. I remember us going on the tractor ride and noticing all the colours of the leaves and all the fresh apples hanging in the huge pumpkin patch. Watching him enjoy nature was something really special, considering the fact that he lived his first year indoors being born amid the pandemic. Also, I must note – the number of apple pies I consumed afterwards definitely made the excursion worth it.

Thanksgiving is another fall memory I hold near and dear to my heart. Having a holiday where all my family can sit around the dinner table, enjoy each other’s company, eat amazing food and just be thankful for everything we have is a great feeling.

There are many more amazing memories associated with autumn, and now that everything is opening up again, I highly encourage everyone to go out and enjoy the season!

Bana Yirgalem

Toronto MU '24

Bana Yirgalem is currently studying towards a major in journalism as well as a minor in PR. She's obsessed with everything basketball, pop culture, music, entertainment, and fashion. Her main goal is to inspire young Black girls and give them the opportunity to see more representation of themselves in the media. Follow her on IG and X @banayirgalem for more content