A Mitski Song for Each Stage of Grief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Japanese-American singer and songwriter Mitski Miyawaki is known for her powerful ballads, metaphor-filled lyrics and heartbreaking stories in her music. From her debut album in 2012 titled Lush to her 2022 release Laurel Hell, she continues to write about various topics including self-image, toxic relationships, loneliness, grief, and the list goes on and on.

Grief, in particular, is a common theme in her music. If not grief itself, then it’s the many components that are reflected throughout her discography, some in subtle ways; others not so much. 

So, in honour of Mitski releasing her latest hit album, Laurel Hell, let’s take a look at some of her past songs that represent each of the five stages of grief.

Stage One: Denial — “Me and My Husband

The exhausted sigh at the beginning of the song says it all. Despite being in a relationship filled with toxicity, neglect and low self-worth, the protagonist continues to stay with her partner. She tries to convince herself (repeatedly, at that) that their love remains strong; that it only gets better from here. But, we all know it’s easier to hide from the truth than to confront its bitter end.

Significant lyrics: But me and my husband / We’re doing better / It’s always been just him and me / Together

Stage Two: Anger — “My Body’s Made of Little Crushed Stars

There’s an obvious intensity to “My Body’s Made of Little Crushed Stars” that is raw, gritty, angsty, and everything in between. Mitski experiences bursts of rage towards what it takes to survive in society and feeling stagnant in a rapidly-paced world. If there’s any Mitski song to scream your lungs out to, this would be at the top of the list.

Significant lyrics: My body’s made of crushed little stars / And I’m not doing anything

Stage Three: Bargaining — “Pink in the Night

With its dramatic build-up and climatic ending, the yearning in “Pink in the Night” remains unmatched. The song describes the protagonist’s relationship with her significant other as if it is overly romanticized to compensate for its reality. Once the illusion breaks and the fog is lifted, she pleads to try again and again, not wanting to face reality, but instead, bargain to get her illusion back.  

Significant lyrics: And I know I’ve kissed you before, but / I didn’t do it right / Can I try again, try again, try again

Stage Four: Depression — “A Burning Hill

Right from the get-go, “A Burning Hill” encapsulates a sunken, depressive state in which one delves deeper and deeper into. From its descriptive lyrics to Mitski’s mellow tone, the song exudes a great deal of fatigue and heaviness.

Significant lyrics: I’m tired of wanting more / I think I’m finally worn

Stage Five: Acceptance — “Your Best American Girl

Arguably Mitski’s most hard-hitting song, “Your Best American Girl” explores the trials and tribulations that women of colour face regarding their ethnicities in a relationship. Throughout the song, its protagonist illustrates feelings of inadequacy and touches upon this need to be part of her lover’s life but ultimately fails due to their contrasting backgrounds.

By the end of the song, there is certain admission of one’s culture and identity. Regardless of whether or not that acceptance is bitter or content, it provides a conclusive end to the story. 

Significant lyrics: Your mother wouldn’t approve of how my mother raised me / But I do, I finally do

–––

The beauty of Mitski’s music is in its unique composition. Both her instrumentals and lyrics stand out and can be analyzed and interpreted in various ways; each way just as important as the next. This probably makes your list look different from mine (but isn’t that half of the fun?).

🎶 Related: Mitski’s Laurel Hell; Why I’m Obsessed
Khushy Vashisht

Toronto MU '25

Khushy Vashisht is a second-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She enjoys singing, hate-watching Twilight, and reading thrillers. When she isn't writing, she can usually be found watching romcoms, procrastinating on her readings, or both at the same time.