Life > Experiences

A Library-Hopping Guide: Toronto Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Growing up across from the public library, I had the privilege of visiting my home branch at least once a week; it’s where I fell in love with reading. But weirdly enough, only last summer did I learn there were 100 branches in the Toronto Public Library system. Unusually bored, I asked my sisters if they would be up to visiting all 100 branches in one summer — they said yes.

While we didn’t manage to visit all 100 branches in three months (we went to 40), I now have a deeper appreciation of what the Toronto Public Library’s system has to offer. Below are five of my favourite libraries I have visited and the things that make them unique. 

1. Fairview

Located right beside Fairview Mall, there’s a lot of natural light streaming into the three-story building, which makes this a pleasant place to read or study. One of the really cool things about Fairview is the access to a fully-equipped local community theatre space that anybody with a library card can rent out. As stated on their website, its purpose is to help folks who want to promote community activities that are cultural and educational. Available every day between 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m., it costs non-profit organizations $469.22/day to rent the space and $182.99/hour for commercial use. If you’re interested, you’ll have to book the theatre a minimum of two months beforehand.

2. Agincourt

Conveniently located beside Agincourt Mall, this branch contains two floors of a wide selection of books. What stands out about Agincourt is its diverse collections of Chinese, Tamil, Arabic, Hindi, Tagalog and Urdu materials. Growing up in the Agincourt area, I take great pride in the library reflecting the communities that live here. 

Another staple of the Agincourt Library is the youth hub. Open Monday to Friday from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., the youth hub is where teens can drop in to study, hang out with friends and participate in fun activities like gaming or making arts and crafts. There’s also a 3D printing machine and free snacks are offered daily in this space.

3. Cedarbrae 

Located along Markham Road, this is the library to go to if you live in Scarborough. An architectural masterpiece inside and out, Cedarbrae has plenty of study space and a spectacular number of books compared to your average library. They also have a Scarborough Historical Collection, which includes archive materials like maps and photos. Definitely check it out if you have the opportunity!

This branch also offers various MAP (Museum + Arts Pass) passes! Cedarbrae is one of 32 branches that receive the more exclusive passes to places like Black Creek Pioneer Village, the Ontario Science Centre, Ripley’s Aquarium and the Toronto Zoo. (The Agincourt branch is also one of the 32.) Every week you are eligible to get one free museum pass, subject to availability. Last year, my sisters and I got passes to the Bata Shoe Museum and the Textile Museum of Canada and even got lucky enough to get a Royal Ontario Museum pass! 

4. Toronto Reference Library

To many, the crown jewel of the libraries in the city is the Toronto Reference Library. Located along Yonge Street downtown, this is a must-visit for any library-lover. With five floors, this branch will take your breath away the moment you step foot inside this temple of knowledge. Take The Jack Rabinovitch Reading Room, for example. When I first entered the room, it truly felt like I was in another world as it dripped with sophistication and ambition. Equipped with plenty of space to get some work done, events like author talks and residency programs are also held in this magnificent space.

The only thing that irked me was that because it was a reference library, you could only borrow the materials on the first floor. Still, you could spend the whole day here and wouldn’t be able to explore the entire branch.

Arguably one of the best parts of the branch is the piano practice room on the 5th floor, where they also have shelves of sheet music. In the room are two Yamaha electric keyboards where customers can book one 30-minute session per day. And for all you art lovers out there, check out the TD Gallery, which displays four free exhibitions every year. Oh, and did I mention that there’s a Balzac’s Cafe located on the first floor?

5. North York Central Library

This is my favourite among all the branches I have visited. The North York Central Library is absolutely stunning with its sleek and clean design. When you enter the branch beside the North York Civic Centre, the first thing you see is the staircase — similar to the one at the SLC on campus. Every floor and section has its defining feature, making this branch worth visiting. There’s also a TV that plays CP24 which I thought was interesting for a library.

Aside from the plethora of books like the other branches I have mentioned, this library wins for having the most comfortable study spaces. When I last visited, I sat in this gigantic lounge chair with a wonderful view of Mel Lastman Square.

Other cool features of this branch include the Entrepreneurs Suite on the 4th floor. It’s a space for entrepreneurs to work on their projects and access expert assistance, resources and training to help users start or grow their ideas. If you’re interested, you can book the space for four or eight hours daily.

The International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) also has a special collection—IBBY Collection for Young People with Disabilities—at this branch, which provides books about children with disabilities in over 50 languages, including Braille and Sign Language.

With 60 branches yet to be explored, there are most definitely libraries that deserved to be on this list but didn’t make it. But in the five I’ve listed, I’ve learned that every location is unique and has its own quirks, which makes it all the more fun.

The Toronto Public Library is amazing and a resource that we should definitely take advantage of. The best part? Even if you’re not the most voracious reader, the library has so many underrated gems that everyone can appreciate. If you’re looking for something free and fun this summer, don’t underestimate visiting your local library!

Amanda Noor

Toronto MU '24

Amanda Noor is a fourth-year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She's a huge movie and TV buff and American history and political junkie. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can find her watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s or daydreaming about living in New York City.