A Bollywood Hit: A Review of the Film ‘Jawan’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Attention all Bollywood fans: The king of Bollywood is back!

Shah Rukh Khan (AKA King Khan or SRK) started his revival with his cameo in Brahmāstra: Part One – Shiva, then destroyed the box office with his hit film, Pathaan, and finally, has starred in the newest Red Chillies Entertainment film, Jawan — translating to “soldier” in English. 

Starring in the film, alongside Khan, is Tamil actress Nayanthara and the legendary Deepika Padukone. Jawan is an action-adventure film about how anything can be accomplished with the right motivation and opportunity. You can also expect a little splash of romance and girl power! 

The film starts in a hostage situation with Khan’s character, Azad, and his team of women in control. Azad — under the alias Vikram Rathore — seems to execute a woman and demands Narmada (Nayanthara), the negotiator, to make the Agriculture Minister pay off starving farmer’s loans, or more people will be injured or killed.

However, when the loans are paid off, the woman believed to be executed comes back to life, and it’s revealed that her murder was a facade to ensure that people were listening to Azad and his team. 

While he initially seems like a villain, Azad pursues Narmada romantically, which leads to a love story where the two get married. 

Now — without giving away the whole plot — Deepika Padukone makes an appearance with a jaw-dropping and tear-jerking performance of displaying a mother’s love as well as partaking in the action with some fight scenes. 

As the film is produced by Khan and his wife, Gauri Khan, the plotlines and songs are well-thought-out and catchy. If you’ve been on Brown/Desi Instagram, you may have seen the trending “Chaleya” dance by countless people, both South Asian and non-South Asian. 

The film has caught the attention of many people with the powerful message of the importance of a mother’s love and the endless possibilities motivation can bring.

Ranika Persaud

Toronto MU '25

Writer, 3rd year Biomedical Science student, Grey's Anatomy lover.