This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

You’ve just watched the entirety of Gilmore Girls for the third time in a row and still can’t seem to get enough. It’s official—you’re a Gilmore Girls addict—but have no fear, you can still get your fix through reading.

From drama to romance, these books will give you your fill of Gilmore Girls – inspired by everything in the show from Emily Gilmore to Stars Hollow, and the Dragonfly Inn. Grab a cup of coffee (preferably from Luke’s), cozy up and enjoy!

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

This classic tale tells the story of the four March sisters who could not be more different. With their father away at war and their mother working to support the family, the sisters must rely on each other for support. This book follows the ups and downs of the sisters but emphasizes the lyrics of the beloved Gilmore Girls theme song “where you lead, I will follow.” If you can’t get enough of the relationship between Lorelai and Rory, this book is for you. Bonus – Little Women is also part of the Rory Gilmore reading challenge

2. With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

Emoni, a senior in high school, dreams of becoming a chef after graduating, however, once she becomes pregnant during her freshman year, she must accept that this pursuit of hers is so longer feasible. But once Emoni steps into the kitchen, nothing can stop her. At the heart of this book is motherhood, which is a central theme in Gilmore Girls. This story emanates Lorelai’s journey as a teen mom working her way up the ranks at the Independence Inn and later owning her very own – the Dragonfly Inn.

3. Dear Mrs. Bird by A. J. Pearce 

This tale follows Emmeline Lake and her best friend Bunty as they try to do their bit for the war effort after moving to London during the Blitz in World War II. Emmy dreams of becoming a War Correspondent, and it seems to be fate when she finds a job opening at a newspaper—or so she thinks. Emmy ends up being stuck typing up letters for Mrs. Bird, a curmudgeonly columnist for a dying women’s magazine. Emmy’s determination and dreams of becoming a journalist will have you thinking of Rory the whole time. 

4. The Nest by Cynthia D’aprix Sweeney 

Fans of Emily and Richard Gilmore – this one’s for you. The Nest follows the dysfunctional yet wealthy Plumb family. The story begins when the three Plumb siblings gather in New York to confront their reckless brother who had just come out of rehab—and also happens to be putting their inheritance (dubbed “the Nest”) at stake. This book is chalked with simmering family drama and tension while focusing on difficult relationships. If you miss the wealth and drama of The Gilmore’s, you won’t be able to put this book down.  

5. If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio 

This dark academic thriller follows Oliver Marks, who has just spent a decade in prison for a murder he may or may not have committed. The detective in charge of the case, now about to retire, has never truly believed this story and asks Oliver to tell the truth about what happened all those years ago at university. Oliver is one of seven drama students at a prestigious and elite university. During the course of their four years there, readers become swept up by the drama and tension between the characters. Written in an allegory of a Shakespeare play, this tale is strongly reminiscent of Yale and The Life and Death Brigade. 

6. Any book by Jenny Colgan 

Jenny Colgan is my go-to for cozy, feel-good stories that you can curl up with. Featuring small towns reminiscent of Stars Hollow and lovable characters similar to Sookie and Miss Patty, any Jenny Colgan book is a great choice for a pick-me-up. Some of my favourites are The Bookshop on the Corner and Christmas at the Island Hotel. If Gilmore Girls is your comfort show, Jenny Colgan’s books will surely be a treat. 

7. Talking As Fast I Can by Lauren Graham 

This list wouldn’t be complete without the real-life Lorelai’s memoir. In Lauren Graham’s collection of personal essays, she shares her reflections about life, her career and a behind-the-scenes glimpse of Gilmore Girls.  Both funny and heart-warming, Graham’s story includes her own personality while still incorporating some of the quirkiness she shared with Lorelai. The audiobook, read by Graham, is also fantastic.  

Julia Tramontin

Toronto MU '24

Julia is a storyteller and bookworm based in Toronto, Canada and is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. Julia believes storytelling has the power to create change and is particularly interested in stories about feminism, mental wellness, and literature. When she's not hanging out with her two dogs, she can be found with her nose in a book.