This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Holidays in Toronto are one of the simple pleasures to make up for our unforgiving winters. As the days get shorter and colder, holiday traditions become our saviour during the month of December. Here is a list of five things to do this holiday season in Toronto. 

1. Distillery District

The Distillery District is one of Toronto’s most-known Christmas destinations. Every year, the Distillery holds its annual Winter Village Market, where Torontonians come together to celebrate the holidays. Filled with multiple vendors, including food, clothing, Christmas decor, and more, the distillery is a must-visit spot if you live in Toronto. Located at 55 Mill St, the Winter Village offers guests an immersive experience of festive lights and attractions like the holiday photo walls, live entertainment, and Christmas carollers. This year, the Winter Village has stepped up their game as they’re sponsored by the luxury brand Dior. Even if it’s for a walk, a hot chocolate, and a picture by the iconic Christmas tree, the Winter Village will certainly put anyone in the holiday spirit. The market is free on weekdays, or an $11 fee if you go on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays after 4 pm. 

2. Union Ice Skating

Ice skating is undoubtedly one of the most joyful parts of the holiday season. Braving the cold and layering up in clothes while dancing on the ice is a fun way to get out and enjoy the winter season. Especially when you’re joined by good company under Toronto’s colourful city lights. This year, Union Station has opened an ice skating rink where you can register online for free skating and free skate rentals. The rink is located just outside of Union Station and will run until Jan. 29th, 2023. Make sure to register in advance since spots are going fast! 

3. Canadian Tire Christmas Trail

If you’re looking for an activity that doesn’t involve you getting outside in the cold, consider visiting the Canadian Tire Christmas Trail, for a dazzling 1.5 km route through enchanting lights and performers, all in the comfort of your own car! Located at Black Creek Pioneer Village in North York, the displays include a ferris wheel, a skating rink and a Christmas market. With so many sights to see, the drive-through is a fun activity for a relaxing holiday night where a festive mood is ensured. Tickets are $25, and all the proceeds are donated to Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities, an organization that provides equal opportunity for children to experience sports and physical activities. 

4. Casa Loma Lights Tour

Casa Loma Lights Tour is the host of a beautiful walkthrough lights tour, which expands outside of the castle, and inside the tunnel! The 2 km trail includes different rooms like the candy cane room, teddy bear room, and singing penguins room. Upon your arrival, you’ll be met with stunning outdoor lights, enchanting music, and holiday-themed projections that span the exterior of the castle. Casa Loma is home to a variety of events like the Legends of Horror Halloween event, however, after personally experiencing the beautiful decorations and impressive designs, I believe the holiday lights tour is their best holiday event yet.

5. Nutcracker show

A classic Christmas tradition is going to watch The Nutcracker at the National Ballet of Canada. A beautiful night of dance and music, watching the nutcracker will make you feel like you’re in a movie. Performances start on Dec. 10th, and run until Dec. 31, 2022. The Nutcracker is a great option for a calm indoor evening activity after a day of busy holiday events. 

No matter what you do this holiday season, Toronto’s options are endless. Ranging from festive lights, markets, skating rinks, and entertainment, this holiday season will be one to not forget. 

Olga Bergmans

Toronto MU '25

My name is Olga Bergmans and I am a second-year journalism student at TMU University! When I’m not writing, you’ll most likely catch me at a coffee shop downtown Toronto, or exploring different food spots in the city!