5 Things I Wish I Knew How to Do (But Refuse to Learn)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The beginning of the year is typically a time of resolutions, of improvements. Me, I like to look at all the things I wish I could do and continue to merely wish as opposed to taking action; resolutions are pretty overrated if you ask me.

Here are five things that I wish I knew how to do but refuse to learn:

1. Flip a Butterfly Knife

Why I want to learn: I had to start with the strangest one, one in which I would be channelling my inner Winter Soldier. There’s really only one reason I wish I knew how to do this: It’s so freakin’ cool! As far as party tricks go, being able to twirl a knife between my fingers would probably earn the most applause and, more importantly, make me feel like the main character of an action movie.

Why I refuse to do so: Simple – I’d probably get myself killed. Okay, it probably wouldn’t be that bad, but I’d probably lose an eye or a finger; we can’t all be as skilled with knives as Inej Ghafa from Six of Crows

2. Draw

Why I want to learn: Ever since I was little, I’ve wanted to learn to draw. I have an array of ideas in my head that I want to materialize, ones that have my fingers itching to wrap around a pen just to bring them to life. Instead of spending money on wall art, I could just make myself a museum-worthy sketch that I know will suit my desires. (Okay, “museum-worthy” may be a stretch, but you get the gist.)

Why I refuse to do so: I gave up on drawing ages ago; it’s far too difficult for me (human faces end up looking like mutated aliens) and I get frustrated if I make a single mistake––and there’s always more than one. Yeah, practice makes perfect and it takes time, but I’d rather spend my time doing something I can do.

3. Be Fluent in Morse Code

Why I want to learn: This is another random interest and, just like my intrigue with the butterfly knife, the main reason I want to learn morse code is because it’s super cool. Imagine being able to communicate messages like a spy would, in a cipher that very few people know; one wouldn’t help feeling rightfully impressive.

Why I refuse to do so: As cool as it’d be to know, I highly doubt I’d ever actually need to use morse code. Unless I find myself in the midst of an apocalypse having to send out an SOS through the radio, it seems pretty useless. There’s nobody with whom I could use it, and, frankly, learning it seems discouragingly difficult.

4. Drive

Why I want to learn: Needing someone else to drive me places has its restrictions — I don’t want to be dependent on someone else to take me to where I want to be. Not only is it a matter of independence, but liberation. At times, I’m taken over by the fervent need to just hop in a car by myself and head wherever I feel like going in that very moment, windows down and music blasting as I go. I could head to the bookstore or go out to eat whenever I want; that’s the dream, after all.

Why I refuse to do so: The thought of being at the wheel with the entire car in my control is terrifying. Seriously, why would I want that kind of power? I’d have to pay attention to every little detail around me — from giant trucks to changing speed limits — and worry about the things out of my line of sight. No, thank you; just contemplating all these concerns takes all the fun out of this idea.

5. Play the Piano

Why I want to learn: I know this is a common one, but I love the piano; besides the violin, it’s my favourite instrument. Its smooth, elegant sound in the songs I listen to has me wanting to replicate those tunes myself. I admire those who can play instruments and can’t help but want to do that myself one day. As of right now, though, the only thing I know how to play on the piano are the first few notes of Mary Had a Little Lamb. That’s kinda impressive though, isn’t it?

Why I refuse to do so: I’ve tried learning piano before, even just one song, but I simply couldn’t commit. Why? I am far too impatient to get used to navigating the different keys and memorizing — since I cannot read sheet music — the different notes. Music is a whole other language, one that my brain just can’t comprehend.

All this makes me sound like someone who isn’t willing, or is too afraid, to try new things, which, in fairness, sounds about right. At least, that’s where I am at this moment in time. Sure, resolutions can be outlandish and glorified, but they can also be a real means to change and better oneself. So, who knows; maybe one day these will become five skills I try to master.

Sariya Adnan

Toronto MU '24

Sariya Adnan is currently an English student at TMU. She's been writing her whole life and hopes to use words to create a positive impact on others and the world around her.