Life > Experiences

5 Reasons Why I Make a Vision Board Every Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I’m sure we have all heard of manifestation. However, the real question is, does it work?

For the past couple of years, making a yearly vision board has been my most anticipated manifestation activity before the new year. Not only does it allow me to delve into my creative side, but it also gives me the opportunity to reflect. Because of this, I am sharing the following reasons as to why I choose to make a vision board every year.

It allows me to set my goals for the year

The idea of a vision board itself is a powerful tool to me as it gives me the chance to imagine what kind of person I want to be and what kind of changes I want to make throughout the course of a new year.

I also think setting goals is significant in self-development because there is something tangible and achievable pushing you to become a better version of yourself. 

Personally, putting both short and long-term goals on my vision board allows me to remind myself what I am working towards. Having short-term goals gives me the satisfaction of achieving something quickly, and long-term goals give me the motivation to keep pushing myself on a mental and physical level.

I can reflect on my past year and plan for the future

The second reason why vision boards are key to self-development is because they allow for a moment of reflection on the past year. I often find myself constantly worrying about the future and rushing through each week that I forget to stop and celebrate my successes. 

Making a vision board gives me the chance to see what goals I achieved in the past months and how achieving those goals set new ones for the new year. To me, reflection is key in checking in with myself as it provides me with a new perspective, allows me to think more clearly, and unlocks a new level of self-awareness.

It gives me the chance to be creative

More often than not, I find myself becoming more distant from creative outlets. Growing up, I was always surrounded by paint, paper, and coloured pencils, and as my world has become more digitalized, my creative side has decreased. 

Creating a physical vision board allows me to delve into my creative side and step away from my screen. I am able to feel more of a connection with my goals as I am consciously planning how to design them and where to place them on the page to create the most meaning. Creativity helps me open my mind, think differently, and exercise more original ideas — which is very helpful when creating my vision board.

IT Helps me better understand myself

As I mentioned before, vision boards allow for a greater level of self-reflection. Spending time with myself and truly understanding what it is that I want out of the new year shows me how much I continue to change year after year. 

I believe in being your own best friend, and an element of that is to dive deep into why you are setting the goals you are setting and what you want out of them. Keeping this in mind every time I create a vision board truly gives me a new perspective on myself each year.

MOTIVATION!

Lastly, and probably the most important reason as to why I continue to create a vision board each year is because once those goals are created and are physically in my personal space, it holds me accountable while providing me with bursts of motivation. 

I place my vision board on the back of my bedroom door, so every morning, the first thing I see and engage with are the goals I want to reach. This gives me a large surge of motivation to reach these goals, and even when I might be in a slump or feel slightly unmotivated, having the vision board there gives me the reminder to keep going and make the best version of myself.

Heard enough reasons as to why you should join the vision board train? I promise you will feel motivated, enlightened and encouraged to make 2024 your year!

Abbie North

Toronto MU '25

Abbie is a third-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She was born in England but raised on Vancouver Island in BC. During her spare time, you can find Abbie writing, finding new recipes to cook, and drinking too much coffee. Travel is Abbie's biggest passion and you can always find her planning her next trip. Find her on Instagram: @abbie_northh