This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Spoken word refers to an oral poetic performance art that does not follow typical poetic conventions and relies heavily on emotion and expression. Thanks to websites such as Youtube, Instagram and Spotify, many poets have been able to gain an audience for their work. What was once seen as a hobby can now be considered as a profession for certain people. While it is often performed live (hence the term “spoken word”), many poets recently came out with book collections of their work. Here is a list of five poets and their novels that have stuck with me. 

If My Body Could Speak by 

Blythe Baird 

“If you develop an eating disorder when you are already thin to begin with, 

you go to the hospital.

If you develop an eating disorder when you are not thin to begin with, 

you are a success story”

Blythe Baird became famous in the spoken word space through Button Poetry, which is a poetry-sharing platform on Spotify and Youtube. Her debut novel digs deep into the concepts of body image, sexual assault and sexuality. Her most famous poem, When the Fat Girl Gets Skinny, chronicling her eating disorder, was made into an award-winning short film. Baird’s raw honesty, anger and humility creates a work of poetry that is LGBTQ friendly, feminist and is able to highlight the turmoil of mental illness while paving a path towards body acceptance. 

The Princess Saves Herself In This One

by  Amanda Lovelace

“Silence has 

always been my 

loudest Scream”

A poetry collection divided into four different parts: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you, portrays the author’s struggles at many different stages in her life.  The novel begins with a fragile woman trying to find love and follows her path to discovering her strength and self-love. While the beginning poems are dark and devoid of hope, they slowly transform into self-help mantras for women in abusive relationships with not just others, but themselves. While many do not enjoy her poetry style, others find it poignant, to the point and brave. 

The Dark Between Stars

by Atticus 

“Poets are souls at war with words

from battles waged within.”

Atticus is a poet that gained notoriety through Instagram with short, punchy poems. His most recent novel grapples with the meaning of life and the ebb and flow of romantic relationships. His themes relate to most audiences, showcasing how he tackles love in all of its stages, pulls at heartstrings, and takes you on a journey of ups and downs. The short nature found in the majority  of his poems creates a quick but intense read. 

Helium

by Rudy Francisco

“The difference between a garden and a graveyard is only what you choose to put in the ground”

While it was his debut, Francisco is one of the best-known poets in the spoken word scene, gaining notoriety through the Button Poetry space. His poems often critique class, race and gender while also reflecting on self-love, healing and romance. He is self-deprecating, humorous, intelligent and seamlessly weaves metaphors into his writing. His poems may specifically relate to men of colour as he often writes about his black identity and how it intersects with masculinity. He also simply has a strong understanding of the human condition and how to talk about intense situations with a dash of humour. 

Depression & Other Magic Tricks

by Sabrina Benaim

“Mom says, I am so good at making something out of nothing and then flat out asks me if I am afraid of dying

No Mom I am afraid of living

Sabrina Benaim is one of the most-viewed poets of all time, whose poem “Explaining My Depression to My Mother” has over five million views. Her ability to explain depression in a way that relates to those who suffer from it and help those who do not understand is a gift. Her use of punctuation guides the reader into understanding where the breaths are taken and what words are emphasized, to the point where you forget that you are reading and not directly listening to her.

The emotional nature of spoken word creates a safe space for those feeling marginalized or outcast by society. It’s become a space where people can connect to others who are grappling with the same issues they are and expose themselves to struggles that they may have never experienced. If you are creative, expressive and emotive, then maybe it’s time to pick up one of these novels and see for yourself, just how powerful words can be. 

Kelsea MacKay

Toronto MU '22

Lover of books, coffee and rainy days.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.