This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

There are so many crazy stories and events that have happened in our world. It’s challenging to keep up with everything and although you might be aware of some incidents, there are definitely more that you have not heard of. 

Lately, shows based on true stories or inspired by them have been trending. Below is a list of my top five show recommendations that will educate you on true story events, while also keeping you entertained.

The Watcher

This show follows the story of the Broaddus family who purchased a house in Westfield, New Jersey. After moving, the Broaddus’ then receive eerie letters from an anonymous person who refers to themselves as “The Watcher.” The Watcher is obsessed with their family and the house they recently moved into. Who exactly is watching them? Why are they watching? Who is The Watcher? You’ll have to watch to find out in this new Netflix series.

A Friend of the Family

The Brobergs and their next-door neighbour have become close…maybe a little too close. This series tells the true tale of the relationship between Jan Broberg and her much older neighbour, Robert Berchtold. The Brobergs become caught up in Berchtold’s lies and manipulation, leading him to kidnap Jan several times and convince her to believe in otherworldly beings. I never knew about this story, so it was unsettling to see how one man’s schemes can lead to the grooming of a young girl. 

Candy

Simple housewife Candy Montgomery has it all, or does she? After the gruesome death of her neighbour, Betty Gore, the investigation uncovers the truth about Candy. She isn’t so perfect after all. This show was super addictive with new details being revealed about Candy and Betty’s relationship in every episode. Actress Jessica Biel does a spectacular job in her role as Candy. Check out this show on Disney Plus or Hulu to follow along with the mystery of Betty’s death.

The Thing About Pam

After Betsy Ferreria is stabbed to death in her home, no one suspects her friend Pam Hupp. The police are manipulated into skipping over clues that easily give the killer away. This leads to the wrongful conviction of Betsy’s husband. The police assume it is a closed case but the obvious suspect, Pam, goes unnoticed. The main character is the woman you love to hate. Renee Zellweger plays the unlikable Pam Hupp and is unrecognizable in her role. This series illustrates the horrendous and ridiculous actions that Pam was able to get away with. You won’t be able to stop watching this series as with every episode you’ll hope that justice is served.

Welcome to Chippendales

“Welcome to Chippendales” was recently released to Disney Plus on November 22. It tells the story of Somen ‘Steve’ Banerjee and how he became the successful business owner of Chippendales, the first all-male performer strip club catered to a female audience. I would have never thought I’d be interested in learning about how Chippendales came to be, but after the first two episodes, I am eager to learn more.

It is important to note that not all of these shows are completely accurate with their storytelling, but if you do some research you can easily differentiate between myth and facts. 

I enjoy watching series inspired by real experiences as they are educational and intriguing. If you like mystery and crime or are looking to learn something new, check these out. Which one will you watch next?

Sydney Di Brina

Toronto MU '23

Sydney is in the Journalism program at Toronto Metropolitan University. She loves to try out new recipes, exercise, binge-watch shows/movies and drink matcha.