5 Movies You Need to Watch This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s officially time to curl up to some horror movies! If you know me, you know Halloween is my favourite season because of the myriad of thriller and horror movies I unapologetically binge. (I also love the sweet treats that are on sale for trick-or-treating)! Last year, I wrote an article about 10 horror movies to watch and I thought I would make another list, but with this time, with more toned-down movies for viewers who are more squeamish and not into gore. So, grab your popcorn and blankets and get ready for some great recommendations to get you in the spooky mood! 

The Corpse Bride (2005)

A classic family film that is great for everyone. The Corpse Bride, a stop-motion animation film created by Tim Burton, follows a young man named Victor. Victor’s family has arranged his marriage to a girl named Victoria, and on their first meeting, they start falling for each other. But Victor––nervous about the wedding––ruins the rehearsal and decides to practice his vows on his own in the forest. Unbeknownst to him, he awakens Emily, the corpse bride, who takes him to the land of the dead. This movie has beautiful animations and super catchy songs that will get stuck in your head. The end of the movie is heartwarming and is definitely worth watching. Check out the trailer below.

The Corpse Bride trailer.
Perfect Blue (1997)

Perfect Blue revolves around a pop singer named Mima who gives up her career to become an actress. She slowly starts to go insane after being stalked by an obsessive fan and is then haunted by the reflections of her past self. According to IMDB, the film was originally live-action but became an anime when sponsors pulled out during its pre-production stages. The plot twists in Perfect Blue will have you thinking for days about what is real and fake. Check out the trailer below.

Perfect Blue trailer
Us (2019)

Directed by Jordan Peele, Us is about the Wilson’s family beach vacation that turns into chaos when their doppelgängers appear and begin to torment them. From the creator of Get Out (another movie I recommend watching), Us is a great film for thrill-seekers who like plot twists. Check out the trailer below.

Us trailer
The Platform (2019)

The Platform, a Spanish film, is a vertical prison of horror. With one jail cell per level for two people to share, a food platform drops down to each cell for only two minutes per day to feed the prisoners. This movie follows Goreng, played by Iván Massagué, and his experience in the platform prison. This movie portrays an inhuman fight for survival in these cell levels and tells a great message about society. Check out the trailer below.

Platform trailer
Annihilation (2018)

Starring Natalie Portman, Annihilation is a thriller movie that follows a group of people who sign up for a dangerous and secret expedition into a mysterious disaster zone. In this zone, the laws of nature don’t apply and the group must fight for survival. The end of the movie will mess with your mind and have you on the edge of your seat. Check out the trailer below.

Annihilation trailer

Happy watching :) 

🎃 Related: My Top 7 Halloween Movies…Ranked!
Hi everyone! I'm Ayleen and I’m a fourth-year journalism student from Lahore, Pakistan. I currently live in the big city of Toronto, Canada and I can't wait to share all my thoughts, and experiences with you! A few things about me... I love food, animals, and horror movies. Sounds like a killer combo am I right? Check out my writings in my profile or follow me on all my socials to see more from me!