5 Fun Things to Do (Inside) on a Snowy Day 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Can you hear those sleigh bells jingling and see the snow falling too? I sure can. It’s that time of year once more, when the streets are lit up, the roads are slippery with gray slush, and the frigid cold makes us all want to take shelter under our covers from the moment we wake up till we fall asleep again. Yeah, playing in the snow was fun when we were kids, and occasionally nowadays too. But, for the most part, most of us just wanna stay inside wearing the thickest sweaters we can find and silently stand by the fireplace. And, you know what? That’s cool. The snow can stay outside. We, on the other hand, will be making the best of our holidays inside.

Here are 5 fun things you can do inside on a snowy day:

1. Bake Holiday-Edition Pillsbury Cookies

These cookies were a huge part of childhood and the different holidays. Pillsbury cookies are always good, but the addition of a Christmas tree or snowman at the top makes it even more delicious, and even a little nostalgic—eagerly waiting by your mom’s side as she slides the tray in the oven and watching the cookies rise and take shape through the oven door. 

These cookies are quick and easy to make; no muss, no fuss. Still, if you don’t want to make them alone, you can always have some company in the kitchen so you have someone to wait with you as they bake and the scent of freshly baked cookies fills the air (unless you don’t wanna share; totally understandable). Biting into one of these soft, sugary cookies as you watch the snow fall outside your window is the ultimate reward.

2. Watch Bad Hallmark Movies

Everyone loves a good bad movie, especially when you don’t want to do anything else. Just grab your favourite people, your favourite warm drink, get under a blanket (try not to hog the covers), and take your pick of the dozens of Christmas Hallmark movies. Sitting on the couch by the fireplace with your movie buddies and laughing and making jokes at the city-girl-turned-country-for-love is the best way to get warm. Just try not to cringe too hard.

3. Host a Game Night (Holiday Edition)

Up for some (not-so) friendly competition? I hope so, ‘cause this is one of the best ways to spend time with your loved ones over the holidays. While it’s snowing outside, you and your people will be inside trying to beat each other in all the best holiday-style games you prepared: screaming to get the answer right first with Christmas-edition Guess the Song (be sure to yell “’All I Want for Christmas is You!’” when you hear the iconic opening); slamming your hand on the homemade buzzer during Holiday Jeopardy (“What is Home Alone 2!”); proving your baking (and eating) skills when making the best gingerbread mansion for your gingerbread house contest; and more. Test your creativity and holiday knowledge with any fun game you can think of, because going head-to-head with your loved ones and trying to outdo each other at any cost to ensure victory is what the holidays are all about…(Right?)

4. Watch Home Movies with Your Family

The holidays are the best time to hang out with your family—everyone’s home, happy, and looking for things to do. So why not take a good ol’ walk down memory lane? Crowd around the TV, plug in that old video camera and try not to cringe at your younger-self goofing around as they perform a “must be seen” show for your parents or run around the living room in nothing but a diaper. It’s always a joy to have a laugh watching your family’s best and most random moments from the past, pointing out how much you’ve all changed (or haven’t) and reminiscing your favourite memories. Hopefully you’ll be able to create some new memories together too.

5. Read Your Favourite Book in Silence

Yeah, we all love hanging out with our family and friends during the holidays, but we crave some alone time too. What better way to do that than with your favourite book, or a book that’s been on your TBR (to be read) list all year? Just sit back in your favourite chair by the fireplace in your comfiest PJs, get under your fluffiest blanket, open the first page to your new adventure, and take in the peace and quiet. Not one for too much silence? You can always play some Christmas music or Ella and Louis on vinyl in the background to amplify that main-character vibe. If you’re not sure what to read, you can check here for the best books to read around the holidays.

Snowy days don’t seem too bad now, do they? Happy holidays, everyone; may your days be merry, bright and full of love!

🎄 Related: 5 Best Christmas Movies Ranked by Someone Who Doesn’t Celebrate Christmas
Sariya Adnan

Toronto MU '24

Sariya Adnan is currently an English student at TMU. She's been writing her whole life and hopes to use words to create a positive impact on others and the world around her.