Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

5 Farms to Visit Near Toronto This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Going to the farm every fall is my favourite retreat—a day of immersing myself in the fast-paced autumn season, collecting gorgeous leaves, getting lost in corn mazes, and savouring just about every pumpkin-flavoured snack.

If that sounds like an ideal weekend plan for you, but you’re not sure where to go, check out these farms in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)!

(1) Downey’s Farm

Website: www.downeysfarm.com

Address: 13682 Heart Lake Rd, Caledon, Ontario

Hours: Monday to Sunday, 9:30 AM to 5 PM

Price: $17 to $21.99 + HST 

Downey’s Farm is home to Pumpkinfest, so it’s the perfect place to pick up some freshly baked pumpkin pies or Downey’s signature pumpkin donuts. This farm truly has it all: from wagon rides to magic shows, to playgrounds, and even more family-friendly fun! There are a plethora of activities to participate in, including the corn maze, boo barn, and petting zoo. Meeting llamas, rabbits, goats, and cows at the petting zoo was one of my favourite parts of the whole experience! If you plan to spend the entire day away, Downey’s Farm is your best bet. Just make sure to buy tickets on the website ahead of time because tickets aren’t sold in person. Scroll through Downey’s Instagram profile to learn more.

(2) Springridge Farm

Website: www.springridgefarm.com 

Address: 7256 Bell School Line, Milton, Ontario

Hours: Monday to Sunday, 9 AM to 5 PM

Price: $9 to $15

This family farm boasts a nineteenth-century barn; if you’re captivated by a farm with a long history, Springridge is the place to be! Sip some amazing hot cider while sauntering in the fun farmyard. Spend some time shopping for pumpkins, apples, gourds, corn, and hay bales at the barn market. You can even hop on the wagon ride for a tour of the farm to wrap up your visit. Springridge is open on weekends and holidays, so it’s convenient for a nice getaway on your next day off! Browse their Instagram feed for a sneak peek at their beautiful pumpkin collection.

(3) Riverdale Farm

Website: www.riverdalefarmtoronto.ca 

Address: 201 Winchester St, Toronto, Ontario

Hours: Monday to Sunday, 9 AM to 5 PM

Price: Free admission

Riverdale Farm is located right in Toronto, so you can swing by with your Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) friends after class. And the farm is only a 20-minute streetcar ride from campus! There are so many farm animals to spot as you walk along one of their many trails. Open since 1849, this farm has a variety of antique buildings for you to explore, such as the Simpson House, the Francey Barn, the Residence, and the Island House. Each building has a unique story, like pieces of the puzzle that comprise Riverdale. If you like museums, you’ll love Riverdale when you drop by and learn about its rich history! Look through the farm’s Facebook page for hints of what to expect.

(4) Dyment’s Glen Drummond Farm

Website: www.dyments.com 

Address: 416 Fallsview Rd E, Dundas, Ontario

Hours: Saturdays and Sundays in October, 10 AM to 5 PM

Price: $16

Dyment’s Pumpkin Patch Festival is not to be missed. This farm may be the furthest from Toronto on this list, but the scenic views make up for the long drive there! I went here on a very foggy day, so the spooky vibes were very real, and the pumpkin patch was as mysterious as a scene from Stranger Things. There is a myriad of attractions at Dyment’s, including wagon rides, picturesque areas, and a haunted house. And if you’ve got a sweet tooth, you can buy some delicious baked goods at Dyment’s market. Their pies, banana bread, sweet tarts, brownies, and cookies are absolutely heavenly! Have a look at the farm’s gorgeous views here.

(5) Dixie Orchards

Website: www.dixieorchards.com 

Address: 14309 Dixie Road, Caledon, Ontario

Hours: Monday to Friday 10 AM to 5 PM, Saturdays to Sundays 10 AM to 6 PM

Price: $5.31

If you like fruit picking, then Dixie Orchards is the farm for you! You can pick so many different kinds of apples: Golden, Red Delicious, Empire, and Spartan. Dixie is unique because it’s one of the only farms in Eastern Canada where you can pick your own hazelnuts. While the season for fresh hazelnuts is now over, there are still dried hazelnuts that you can buy at the farm’s market. You can also purchase pumpkins, gourds, and squash. Your ticket to Dixie allows you to access many activities, like the corn maze and the straw jump. Dixie Orchards is the best farm for you if you need a breath of fresh air and a chance to pick up some fresh farm produce! See for yourself at Dixie’s Instagram profile.

I hope you enjoy visiting these farms and embrace the final few weeks of fall before the winter settles in! Tag us on your next Instagram post of being on a wagon ride, going apple-picking, or browsing on a walking trail before fall is over. Have fun!

❄️ Related: 5 Activites to Make the Winter more Bearable
Basma Khan

Toronto MU '23

Basma is a fourth-year student in the Department of English at Toronto Metropolitan University. She is doing minors in Communication Design and Psychology. Besides writing and reading, she loves cats, chocolate, and Taylor Swift.