Stage occupied by four musicians, with a black backdrop that says \"Inhaler\"
Photo by Julia Bissessar

5 Artists to Spice up Your Spotify Playlists 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

If you’re anything like me and music is your life, you might find yourself feeling bored from listening to the same songs or artists over and over.

While I will always love hearing Hozier, boygenius, and Harry Styles on my shuffle, I want to provide you with five artists that you may not have heard of or haven’t listened to yet to give your playlists a bit of flair this year!

INHaler

Inhaler is a band from Dublin, Ireland, specializing in indie-rock and rock music. They have a fun and exciting sound, and they remind me of music you’d hear in a 2010s coming-of-age movie. They currently have two albums out, It Won’t Always Be Like This and Cuts & Bruises, released in 2021 and 2023, respectively. 

Some songs I recommend from Inhaler are: 

• “My King Will Be Kind”
  • “Dublin in Ecstasy”
  • “Cheer Up Baby” 
chappell roan

Chappell Roan is a pop artist who has been taking the music scene by storm since the 2023 release of her debut album, The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess.

Roan has a very similar sound to artists like Sabrina Carpenter, MUNA, and King Princess. She writes about experiences like queer love, hookups, breakups, and everything in between, which I have had a really fun time discovering. 

My recommendations for Chappell Roan songs are:

• “Red Wine Supernova”
  • “Naked in Manhattan” 
  • “Casual”
laufey

Laufey is a jazz-pop artist from Iceland, and she just recently won a Grammy award!

Laufey’s sound is a very floaty, ethereal type of jazz that focuses on love and self-discovery. If you’re a fan of musicians like Astrud Gilberto, Etta James, or Norah Jones, Laufey is just right for you! She currently has two albums out, Everything I Know About Love and Bewitched

My recommendations for Laufey are: 

• “Fragile”
  • “Lovesick”
  • “California and Me”
the beaches

The Beaches are a band from Toronto that actually began under the name Done with Dolls, which is how I came to discover them, like, a million years ago.

They specialize in pop-rock, and I am obsessed with them right now! If you liked Inhaler or enjoy Lucy Dacus, boygenius, or The Regrettes, give The Beaches a shot. They currently have two albums under their current moniker: Late Show and Blame My Ex.

My recommendations for The Beaches: 

• “Cigarettes”
  • “Shower Beer”
  • “Highway 6”
the crane wives

The Crane Wives make what I can best call questing music. They make folk-rock music that also sounds like something you’d hear a bard sing in a game of Dungeons & Dragons. If you’re like me and love fantasy, folklore, or watching Critical Role, The Crane Wives could be for you. 

Song Recommendations I have for The Crane Wives:

• “The Moon Will Sing”
  • “Curses”
  • “Never Love an Anchor”

These are some artists whom I have found in the last year or two and have really enjoyed finding new music and favourite songs through them, and I hope by providing you with this list, I can do the same for you. Enjoy, and happy listening!

Madison Hayes

Toronto MU '25

Madison is a third year English student at TMU, and she has a passion for music, disability and queer advocacy, as well as popular culture. Outside of school, Madison can be seen at a concert and taking photos of everything she sees. You can find her at @madisonbhayes on instagram!