oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

3 Movies You Need To Watch Before The Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

This year’s Oscars are right around the corner. 

On Sunday, March 12, awards will be given, celebrities will go over their acceptance speech time limit, and drama will ensue. It’s a jam-packed night full of glitz and glamour that aims to honour the best films of the year! 

If you’re anything like me, then you try to watch as many Oscar-nominated movies as possible. However, I recognize this is not an easy task for everyone. With so many nominated movies, it can be hard to decide which ones are worth watching. To help you out, I have made a list of three must-watch films to look out for at this year’s Oscars!

Elvis

Even if you haven’t seen this movie, I’m almost sure you’ve heard of it. With the drama around Austin Butler’s Elvis voice and following the sad passing of Elvis’ only child, Lisa Marie, this movie has been making headlines.

Directed by Baz Luhrmann, Elvis illustrates the King of Rock and Roll’s musical journey in a colourful and exciting manner. Austin Butler delivers an excellent performance, learning to sing and dance to capture the essence of Elvis. His portrayal earned him his first Golden Globe and will possibly earn him his first Oscar.

I’ve seen Elvis twice and enjoyed it both times. Even if you’re not a massive fan of Elvis, this movie will keep you engaged, entertained and maybe humming along! 

Starring: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks

Genre: Musical/Drama

Run Time: 2 hr 39 mins

Oscar nominations: 8

Where to watch: Apple TV, Amazon Prime and Hulu

The Banshees of Inisherin

This one surprised me, but for all the right reasons. Oscar-nominated Colin Farrell plays a jovial Irish man who suddenly has to deal with the ending of a long-time friendship. Co-star and fellow Oscar-nominee Brendan Gleeson plays the stern friend who abruptly ends the relationship. Throughout the film, other characters try to mend the friendship but without much luck, leading to a shocking ending.

The dark cinematography and poignant soundtrack make the Oscar-nominated original screenplay by Martin McDonagh come to life. This film won Best Picture Musical/Comedy at the Golden Globes and hopes to win the big prize at the Oscars!

The Banshees of Inisherin is filled with many twists and turns and is a captivating, enjoyable film. Make sure to brace yourself for heavy Irish accents!

Starring: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon

Genre: Comedy/Drama

Run Time: 1 hr 54 mins

Oscar nominations: 9

Where to watch: Select theatres, Disney Plus and HBO.

The Fabelmans 

Probably one of my favourite films of the year, The Fabelmans is a real treat for Steven Spielberg fans and movie lovers alike. The film is a semi-autobiographical account of Spielberg’s early life and passion for filmmaking. Even though it’s about Spielberg, the aesthetic, breathtaking cinematography, and stunning Oscar-nominated soundtrack by John Williams make you forget it’s about him.

Gabriel LaBelle does a phenomenal job portraying a young Spielberg in this film, earning him the Critics Choice award for Best Young Performer. Michelle Williams, as Spielberg’s fictional mother, delivers an emotional and breathtaking performance, earning her a Supporting Actress nomination.

The Fabelmans is an entertaining, heart-warming and touching movie that is sure to stay with you long after the credits roll!

Starring: Gabriel LaBelle, Michelle Williams, Paul Dano 

Genre: Coming-of-age story/Drama

Run Time: 2 hr 31 mins

Oscar nominations: 7

Where to watch: Select theatres and Amazon Prime.

Happy movie-watching!

👯‍♀️ Related: A Non-Comprehensive Review of the 95th Oscar Nominees
Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.