3 Classic Non-Christmas Movies To Watch During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The holidays are fast approaching, which means it’s time to rewatch some holiday classics.

It becomes complicated if you’re like me and don’t celebrate Christmas but still want to partake in the holiday spirit. Over the years, as a movie enthusiast, I’ve pinpointed some movies that don’t take place during Christmas but still embody the cheerful nature of the season.

Without further ado, here are three fantastic non-Christmas movies to add to your watchlist.

The Sound of Music (1965)
Sound Of Music Singing GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization - Find & Share on GIPHY
20th Century-Fox, The Sound Of Music via Giphy

This Robert Wise musical features the legendary Julie Andrews playing the effervescent aspiring nun, Fraulein Maria, tasked with caring for Captain Georg Von Trapp’s seven kids.

Set right before the start of World War II in Austria, the movie is full of joyous tunes capturing the innocence of this period that will have you singing along. If you’re into grandiose Hollywood musicals, this one is definitely worth checking out.

Since 2002, this movie always appears in mid-December on ABC. As a result, The Sound of Music has been considered an unofficial Christmas movie without actually taking place during the holiday season. Key themes such as family and love make this a staple for holiday viewing.

The movie feels like a warm blanket that just melts all your troubles away. Although some think it’s cheesy, you can’t go wrong with watching The Sound of Music with friends and family.

When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
Meg Ryan Comedy GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre - Find & Share on GIPHY
Columbia Pictures, When Harry Met Sally via Giphy

Arguably the peak of all modern rom-coms and the one that set the standard for the genre, Nora Ephron’s When Harry Met Sally… revolves around a central question: Can men and women just be friends?

Starring Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal in the title roles, it follows the two characters from their first encounter in college and throughout their tumultuous relationship in the years following. The movie is a spectacular comedy that transcends generations with its memorable lines and iconic New York City backdrop.

While the film is indeed outdated, set in the late 1980s, it generally holds up pretty well and still has audiences relating to the characters and their problems.

When Harry Met Sally… is a feel-good and heartwarming movie that romanticizes New York City to the point where you seriously consider moving there permanently. (Just me?) The film not only evokes nostalgia, a popular feeling during this time of year, but it explores relevant themes such as friendship and love in a comedic fashion.

Also, the pivotal scene at the end — no spoilers, of course — takes place during New Year’s Eve, which makes for a fantastic choice for seasonal viewing.

Clue (1985)
Canada Lol GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Paramount Pictures, Clue via Giphy

Based on the popular board game of the same name, Jonathan Lynn’s Clue is a comedy murder-mystery film that revolves around a core cast of six strangers who meet for the first time. As the film progresses — surprise, surprise — people get killed, and it’s up to the group to figure out “whodunnit.”

With too many witty remarks to count and a stellar cast, including Tim Curry pre-Home Alone 2 and Christopher Lloyd post-Back to the Future, it invites audiences to figure out who the killer is. While the movie takes place on a rainy day in June, it’s still a great pick for the holiday season. It’s a fun, super silly movie that I guarantee will make you laugh out loud.

Besides, the holidays are a time to relax and unwind, which makes this the perfect time to watch this hilarious iteration of the board game. I won’t spoil it, but if you find yourself with friends and family during this time of year, the movie’s unique ending makes for a great discussion. 

Make no mistake, you can watch these light-hearted classics all year round, but watching them during December is an entirely different experience. Who knows? Watching these top-tier movies may become an annual tradition for years to come!

Amanda Noor

Toronto MU '24

Amanda Noor is a fourth-year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She's a huge movie and TV buff and American history and political junkie. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can find her watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s or daydreaming about living in New York City.