This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The annual Spotify Wrapped and Apple Music Replay dropped in late November, and for all those reposting on their Instagram, we hope you had a good one! 

2023 was definitely a year for great music! We saw lots of new artists catching their big breaks, past artists making comebacks and, obviously, so many of our favourites continuing to release chart-topping new music. 

With all the music that came out this year, Billboard came out with their annual Year-End Charts: Hot 100 Songs. The list includes a good mix of different genres and artists, which goes to show how there is so much diverse music out there to explore. 

Going through the top 10 songs on this list, there are definitely some more predictable ones, and others sneaking their way in. Regardless, here’s a look at why these songs earned their spot:

#10: “I’m Good (Blue)” by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha

This song was definitely a hit this year! It infuses a fun, pop, and dance vibe that can liven up any party. Bebe Rexha’s voice and David Guetta’s beats pair incredibly together.

There’s not too much going on — it’s just a great song for an easy listen to, which lyrically says a lot. It seems to be received positively, seeing as though it dropped in 2022 and still managed to get over a billion streams on Spotify. 

A Reddit thread titled “Is anyone else surprised by how well ‘I’m Good (Blue)’ is performing commercially?” is filled with over 40 comments, most of which speak to how good the song is. One user said, “Nostalgia sells,” which is true!

This song feels very much like an early 2000s radio hit that you would just dance to with your friends. This comment speaks specifically to David Guetta’s ability to evoke these feelings of nostalgia in his recent music that can go viral fast. Overall, this is a great song to sit at number 10, with nothing notable to dislike! 

#9: “Snooze” by SZA 

SZA dropped her album, SOS, in December 2022, and one song to come from it was “Snooze.” This song has gained so much popularity through social media and is sonically beautiful. The soft R&B song charted on Billboard on various genre charts and the Rhythmic Songs chart.

Her music video for “Snooze” also gained much attention, feeding its virality even more. The lyricism behind the track is so painfully beautiful, as it reflects being with the person you long to be loved by, to which SZA’s soft vocals translate so well.

The comments section of the audio release on SZA’s YouTube channel shares the love many have for it. One user wrote, “I literally listen to this song about 100 times a day. The lyrics, her voice, the beat, it’s just the whole package. I’m addicted to this song.”

Another comment said, “To me, ‘Snooze’ is the song on the album that most accurately encapsulates the feelings conveyed through the album cover.”

Accumulating over 142 million views on YouTube and over 600 million Spotify streams, it’s no surprise that “Snooze” ends up in the top 10!

#8 “Fast Car” by Luke Combs 

This country cover of Tracy Chapman’s original hit has over 320 million streams on Spotify. It was released in March 2023 and increasingly caught the attention of many. Combs’ rendition of the Chapman classic is beautifully done in a very unique way.

While country music tends to be a pretty niche and neglected genre, something about Luke Combs’ cover bridges Chapman’s folksy and soul sounds with his soft acoustic style. 

Combs uploaded a live version of the song to YouTube, and listening to the crowd in the background makes it clear that his version touches many people, not just fans of his but also listeners of Chapman. As her version was a hit in the late 1980s, bringing it back today while still staying true to the original makes it just as beautiful and nostalgic for many.

One user under Combs’ live version wrote, “As a musician, I like how he stayed true to the original while using country instrumentation to make it his own. Awesome job! And I’m not much into country, but this is exceptional.” This comment sums up why it ends up as Billboard’s #8 spot and how Combs beautifully executed this cover. 

#7 “Die for You – Remix” by The Weeknd and Ariana Grande 

The Weeknd’s original version of “Die for You” on his 2016 album, Starboy, was a hit, accumulating 1.9 billion streams on its first release. Adding pop sensation Ariana Grande to the track made it even better.

Her adlibs and vocals bring such a soft and elegant sound to the track. Her solo verse goes up to her classic high octaves, creating a light and delicate addition of a nice feminine touch to the song. The two have collaborated several times over their careers, but something about this song puts it at the top of their projects together. 

This duet version of the song was released in February 2023 and has over 700 million streams on Spotify. As seen in this tweet, Grande has earned over 1.1 million monthly listeners since its release based on no individual album or single releases this year. It goes to show how relevant this song remains seven years later and why it holds a spot on the 2023 year-end chart.

#6 “Calm Down” by Rema and Selena Gomez 

The blend of Rema’s rhythmic and Gomez’s smooth voice, accompanied by the beats in the background, makes for an altogether beautiful song. During the bridge of the song, the two go back and forth, making the song more romantic than the sensual lyrics.

Rema’s afrobeat and Gomez’s pop sound pair together so well, making their Best Afrobeats Song Billboard award not a surprise! In June 2023, the song reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100, which makes sense since the song still has the perfect summer vibe to it. 

#5 “Creepin’” by Metro Boomin, The Weeknd & 21 Savage

The top song to come off of Metro Boomin’s 2022 album, HEROES & VILLAINS, “Creepin’,” definitely made some noise this year. The lineup of artists on the song alone sets the song up for success. The Weeknd’s melodic vocals and 21 Savage’s strong flow and rhythm coming together on Metro Boomin’s beat is the formula for a hit. 

The song charted on three different Billboard R&B charts, and a remix featuring Diddy was released as well. The original version, though, still performed better in terms of streams, boasting over 1.1 billion streams on Spotify. Sitting at #5 on the top 100 charts at the end of the year is a well-deserved place — surprising it doesn’t sit any higher. 

#4 “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift 

It’s no surprise that Taylor Swift is on this list, especially so high. Coming off her highly-acclaimed 2022 album, Midnights, “Anti-Hero” was one of the many hits to be released this year. Finding its way onto TikTok as a trending sound and just being (arguably) one of the best songs off the album, “Anti-Hero” definitely deserves its spot on the year-end chart. 

@avocado__toasted

Nothing more embarassing than “Ummmm whose pink suitcase is this?” #travel #unitedairlines #notmine

♬ Anti-Hero (Edit) – Taylor Swift

With 1.3 billion streams on Spotify and 175 million views on YouTube for the music video, Swift proves once again that she is a force not to be reckoned with. Her lyricism and voice range are indicators on their own of not only the success of this song but of her as an artist.

The famous line from the song, “It’s me, hi, I’m the problem, it’s me,” will probably go down as one of the catchiest lines in music history and made for some great TikTok memes. 

#3 “Kill Bill” by SZA

This was a big year for SZA. Having two songs make the Billboard Year-End Chart and one in the top three is a big move for the R&B artist! Coming from her 2022 album, SOS, “Kill Bill” is a song defining 2023.

Its music video reached over 90 million views, while the song received over 1.5 billion streams on Spotify. The album’s second track showcases SZA’s harmonious ballad abilities that pair seamlessly with the piano melody and groovy rhythm — definitely an alternative indie take on an R&B hit. The song charted equally as high on other charts and continues to circulate on social media today. 

#2 “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus

It was almost impossible to avoid this pop radio hit this year. First released as a single and later the opening track to Miley Cyrus’s 2023 album, Endless Summer Vacation, “Flowers” definitely put her back on the map! After experimenting with rock in her recent works, it was refreshing to hear her new sound return to her pop roots. 

The song continues to increase its streams and maintain its popularity. Many other comments online are talking about how this is THE song of 2023 — which is not hard to believe considering how much it was played over the radio or virtually anywhere playing music.

#1 “Last Night” by Morgan Wallen 

This may be a surprise to those who don’t listen to country music, but Morgan Wallen’s “Last Night” managed to take the top spot this year. It debuted at number 27 on the Billboard Hot 100 but made its way up throughout the year.

This beautifully arranged song recalls falling in love through toxicity and the yearning for a relationship that may not be good for you.

The song’s lyrics bring listeners on a ride of emotions. Country fans know this song to be a hit, but even if you aren’t one, definitely give it a listen. It’s no wonder “Last Night” is the most streamed song on both Spotify and Apple Music. It’s definitely a hit to close off the year! 

Billboard’s 2023 Year-End Chart is a great staple list to demonstrate the diverse music that exists today. Some of the songs on this list are definitely not a surprise, but others are sure to have shocked you.

If you want to listen to these songs all at once, check out the playlist below with the top 20 songs from the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 chart to get a taste of the music that defined 2023!

Jillian Gonzales

Toronto MU '25

Jillian Gonzales is a third year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She was born and raised in Toronto and loves the city. Her interests include music, tv and film, and sports. Jillian also loves to shop and cannot survive without her coffee. You can find her on Instagram @jillian.jg