This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! From pumpkin spice lattes to haunted hayrides, there are so many fun things to do during the autumn season. Living in the city may put a damper on the usual cozy activities–but fear not! This list will compile all the ways to soak up the fall air without straying too far from Toronto. 

Take a train ride through the foliage!

Living in the city means an unfortunate lack of trees and, even more distressing, a lack of fall foliage. If you’re missing the comfort of those orange, red and yellow hues, you’re only a train ride away! The South Simcoe Railway (50 mins from Toronto) offers a Fall Colour Excursion on weekends until the 23rd of October. Tickets are priced at 15 dollars for adults, 12 dollars for seniors and 9 dollars for children aged 3-5. Take advantage of these exceptional views and cozy vibes while you can!

Visit a fun fall festival!

Moving to Toronto from a small town can leave you missing the local charm of autumn festivals. Surprisingly, similar events are closer than you may think! Pumpkinfest Toronto at Downsview Park takes place over multiple dates this October. Tickets are 25 dollars online, and admission is free for kids under two years old.

Grab a drink…or a few!

When thinking about fall, a few drinks may come to mind. From pumpkin spice lattes to mead, there are plenty of autumnal beverages in the city. Until  October 31st, stop by the Fall’N’Leaves Food & Wine Bar pop-up to sip some wine around fire pits, pumpkin patch decor and live music in the middle of the city!  General admission is free, with tickets required for wine tastings and paint nights. 

If a wine bar isn’t quite your vibe, pop by the Distillery District’s fall market! October 8/9, 15/16 and 22/23, stop by for festive drinks, snacks and shopping.

Try Apple Picking

Apple pie, apple cider, candy apples and more. With so many fall treats to try, it only makes sense to pick some apples of your own. Albion Orchards is only a short trip from downtown Toronto. Located in Caledon, the farm often runs a pumpkin patch throughout the season and offers pick-your-own apples on weekends and holidays. For twenty dollars, you can get a 10-pound bag of your own picked apples, perfect for homemade pies!

Have a pumpkin-spice picnic

If you’re short on funds or time, a TTC fare will get you over to Toronto’s High Park. Surrounded by trees and nature, you will surely feel immersed in the autumnal feels right in the middle of the city. Pack your own snacks and cider, or head down to a local bakery for some pumpkin-spiced treats. Bakeries line the nearby Bloor West Village and Junction neighbourhoods, boasting their seasonal menus. Bunner’s Bakeshop has an entirely vegan and gluten-free menu with items like pumpkin-spice scones, cupcakes and cinnamon rolls. Make the most of what the city has to offer and enjoy a simple treat in the park!

Julia Sacco

Toronto MU '23

Julia Sacco is a third-year journalism student at X University whose writing focuses on women's issues, mental health, pop culture and literature.