This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As I write this blog, I’m ironically experiencing writer’s block right now. I believe that writing is a major form of art because it allows people to express feelings through words, stories, and even poems! So when you have writer’s block, how should you get back into the writing flow? Well, here are some tips!

The first thing I do when I have writer’s block is to write a journal entry. No, it doesn’t have to start with “Dear Diary” or any of that, but it can if you want it to! Your journal entry can be about anything and everything! Just write freely about whatever comes to mind, which will help you get your creative juices flowing and get some words on paper!

The next thing I do is create a rough draft. Whether you’re writing an essay or a blog post, this will help get you started! Create an introduction and conclusion, and list bullet points for the main ideas you want to hit in a body paragraph. This helps organize your thoughts and creates the outline of your writing!

The next tip is for all the freelance writers and authors out there! If you are struggling to develop an idea for your next best-seller, the best thing to do is focus on what you’re passionate about. Think about anything you could talk about for hours or a cause you support. This helps you pick a topic you won’t have trouble writing about! Also, the best essays and stories are the ones that you can tell the writer cares about!

Well, I hope that helped you get unstuck in your writing. Don’t forget how powerful words can be, whether they are eloquently phrased into a sonnet or used to write about the topic your teacher assigned you in class. Let’s get to writing!

Hey y'all! My name is Priya and I am a sophomore biology major at the University of Texas at Austin!