Why It’s Time to Say Goodbye to Plastic Water Bottles for Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Plastic water bottles are everywhere. You can find them at grocery stores, gas stations, vending machines, and even in your own fridge. But have you ever stopped to think about the impact they’re having on the environment? Here are some reasons why it’s time to ditch the plastic water bottle for good.

1. They’re bad for the environment: Plastic water bottles take hundreds of years to decompose, and many end up in our oceans and landfills. This not only harms wildlife but also contaminates our water and soil.
  2. They’re expensive: Buying plastic water bottles can add up quickly. A single bottle of water can cost upwards of $2 at a gas station or convenience store. Investing in a reusable water bottle can save you money in the long run.
  3. They can be harmful to your health: Many plastic water bottles contain BPA, a chemical that has been linked to cancer, obesity, and other health issues. Reusable water bottles are a safer alternative.
  4. They’re unnecessary: In most cases, tap water is just as safe and clean as bottled water. By investing in a reusable water bottle, you can save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
  5. There are alternatives: If you’re concerned about the taste or quality of your tap water, there are alternatives to plastic water bottles. You can purchase a water filter for your faucet or invest in a pitcher that filters your water.

In conclusion, it’s time to say goodbye to plastic water bottles for good. They’re bad for the environment, expensive, can be harmful to your health, and are often unnecessary. By investing in a reusable water bottle and exploring alternative options, you can help reduce your carbon footprint and make a positive impact on the planet. So, let’s raise a glass (or a reusable bottle) to a more sustainable future!

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha