Why I Think Everyone Should Read Paul Coelho’s The Alchemist In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

First published in 1988 in Coelho’s native Brazil, The Alchemist tells the story of a Spanish shepherd boy named Santiago who, after encountering a mysterious king, goes on a quest to discover his Personal Legend. As Santiago ponders the meaning of a Personal Legend, the king describes “It’s what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their personal legend is. At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend” (24).

Simply put, Personal Legends represent our most authentic dreams and desires, our passions and curiosities that fade with age as we learn to accommodate complacency and bend to external pressures. For me, Coelho’s “mysterious force” represents a combination of societal expectations, self-doubts, and fears of failure. At various points during my college experience, these forces have coaxed me into abandoning my dreams and pursuing security instead. On more than one occasion, I stifled my passions and convinced myself that the only way to live a “successful” life would be to pursue a lackluster and uninspiring career with a decent salary.

Reading The Alchemist over winter break illuminated the value of taking risks, of identifying my passions and pursuing them fiercely. I am learning to find comfort in uncertainty and excitement in my own journey. Towards the end of The Alchemist, Santiago expresses “my heart is agitated, it has its dreams, it gets emotional” (132). He questions the stability of his heart and the sincerity of his dreams; he doubts his Personal Legend and laments “my heart is a traitor” (133). Gently, the alchemist says “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say” (134). For any college student who may be struggling with life’s uncertainties, may Coelho’s words offer hope and inspiration. Dreams are powerful. The call of your heart is also powerful. You just have to allow yourself to tune in.

Works Cited

Coelho, Paul. The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary Edition. HarperOne, 2014.

Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥