college parties?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
college parties?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NETFLIX

Why I Only Bring Friends to My College Date Events

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Whether you’re in a sorority, spirit organization, or a business fraternity, college is full of date events and socials. Personally, I’ve struggled to find a date for these events in the past. I often felt pressured to take a guy I was interested in, and I was frequently blindly set up by a friend, leading to nights of small talk and awkward conversations. I grew tired of taking men I wasn’t close with and comfortable around. I began to dread my date events, worried if I would like my date and scared of another failed outing.

However, towards the end of last semester, I decided to take my best friend to one of my date events. It turned out to be one of the most memorable and enjoyable nights of my college experience. Since then, I’ve taken a friend to every event. Now, I go into each event knowing I’ll have a great time. I no longer have to worry about hitting it off with my date or entertaining someone I’m not familiar with. I can now attend my date events care-free and comfortable with my date.

Another benefit of bringing a friend is the photos. I no longer have to take awkward photos with a guy I just met. Instead, my friend and I can coordinate outfits and take fun photos together. I found myself posting on Instagram way more when I just took a friend. I no longer complain about having no photos of me and my best friends, but now I have so many!

Lastly, with regards to hook-up culture, girls can feel a lot of pressure to say yes to their date at the end of the night. That anxiety disappears when you take a friend, and you don’t have to worry about your date making you feel uncomfortable. My sorority sisters have now started to also take their girl friends and it makes our events feel so much more safe and exciting. 

My name is Reilly Moriarty, and I am from San Francisco, California. I am a freshman majoring in Political Communications, and I have now been an active member of Her Campus for two semesters! I love reading, hiking, and spending time with my friends and family. I am thrilled to be able to be a contributing member of Her Campus!