What It’s Like Being An Aspiring Musician In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

In May 2020 I was, like most people, in need of an outlet. My brain spun and spun as I went through the routine of waking up, going to class on Zoom, eating lunch, more class, dinner, and then finally, bed. I needed something new to do. So one day, I recorded myself singing a little melody I had made up in my head. I decided to post the recording to my Soundcloud account (2014 me would be cackling).

I always wanted to produce and release music, even before I came to college. What was difficult was how to start producing, what platforms to use, and what equipment to buy. Everything seemed out of reach and confusing until quarantine happened, and I had nothing but time. I decided to educate myself on the various requirements an aspiring artist needs to make music.

I bought a tiny mic that had very poor sound quality but worked well enough as I was starting out. I began releasing clips of me singing on Soundcloud and Youtube and thought nothing of it. One day, at the end of May, I opened my phone to find that my song had been streamed 5,000 times. I don’t know how this happened, but the algorithm was definitely in my favor that day.

Over the next month, my song reached 16,000 streams, and I was completely shocked by the statistics. I enlisted a friend’s help to make a real song that was produced in December 2020, titled “Cherry Blossom”. Over the course of the next year and a half, I began producing and releasing songs. I often made these songs when I had downtime or just felt in a creative mood.

It was difficult carving out enough time to actually produce songs, and I often had help from other producers who took their own spin on my music. Between classes and other obligations, I noticed that I wouldn’t brainstorm as much, but I knew that I would get back to making music once I was done with an intense exam period.

It’s 2022 now, and I have officially moved to Spotify and am verified as an artist. I’m super excited to see where my music goes, and I always love to share my music news on my Instagram. I’m still growing as an artist, but I am thrilled to see where I will go.

I am a fourth year at the University of Texas at Austin. I am currently studying Asian Languages and Cultures as well as Music Performance. I love making music, doing my makeup, and exploring places to eat.