Wellness

A Weekly Dose of Texas Nature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As Texas residents, we have the privilege to live amongst a wide array of beautiful landscapes and animals. Despite this privilege, many do not take the time to appreciate the little pieces of natural beauty that surrounds them on a daily basis.

The Northern Mockingbird (also called Mimus polyglottos), a common bird to see in Texas (whether you are driving home to Dallas, or kicking back on campus), is a small but interesting piece of our state’s overarching fauna. Quite often, these birds can be found perched amongst the leaves of shrubs and trees, where they can protect themselves from potential predators and munch on the berries that these trees bear. While there are now Northern Mockingbirds throughout North America, the mockingbird calls the South home, and is more prominent in Texas than in any other portion of the United States.

Ever heard someone mention the voice or songs of a mockingbird? They indeed are adept singers, particularly Northern Mockingbirds. Male Northern Mockingbirds have about 150 songs at their disposal, enunciating the mimicked songs of other birds, as well as the tones produced by other animal and man made sources. In fact, a bird expert can often ascertain where a mockingbird has travelled to recently by identifying which bird’s song a particular mockingbird is belting out across the Texas (or other) skies.

Starting in the later winter months, you might see a male Northern Mockingbird cheerfully singing a tune while bouncing repeatedly off the ground and flapping his wings, while chasing a potential female mate around the general vicinity. This is a staple of Northern Mockingbird mating rituals, and precedes the construction of nests (which the male and female assemble together!).

While these birds are fascinating, be sure to take extra care around them during the spring and summer when they are nesting and caring for their young. Northern Mockingbirds have been known to lash out at humans and pets when they feel that their offspring are in the threatened position. 

Next time you see a Northern Mockingbird, please pause for a moment to listen to their songs and appreciate their presence in the world around you. We, as Texans, are so lucky to live in a state that many members of this bird species call home.

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.