Wellness

Ways to Stay Social During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

With a stay at home order issued for most States across the nation for the foreseeable future, many college students are feeling disconnected from their friends. Making an effort to stay in touch is healthy for your mental health and to help you feel connected. With much uncertainty in the air surrounding the future of our summer, school, jobs, etc. relying and confiding in friends will alleviate stress since we are all dealing with the same struggle.

Snail Mail

Journaling is a therapeutic way to get your feelings down on paper, and writing letters can have the same affect. Your friends will love getting a sweet note in the mail and you can help brighten their day during these trying times.

Zoom Game Night 

Host a game night with your girl group for laughs, social time, and to promote and a little normalcy. You can play Pictionary, Charades, Bingo, and even online Cards Against Humanity.

Zoom Book Club

With most people house-bound, books are a great way to take your mind off of coronavirus and discussing with your friends about how they feel about different parts of the book can produce good conversations.

Talk on the phone with a friend while on a walk.

Walks are healthy both mentally and physically and talking on the phone with friends encourages checking up on them while also taking the time to stay active. 

Zoom Workout class Together

There are several fun workout videos on YouTube right now, such as Jane Fonda’s at home aerobics videos from the 1980s. Peloton is also offering a free 90 day trial and they offer an awesome cohort of classes ranging from cardio, dance, yoga, boot camp, etc.

Netflix Movie Night Together

Netflix Party (available on Google Chrome) allows you to watch movies with your friends. Netflix is typically thought of as a solitary activity but this app helps to alleviate some loneliness and make sure you are catching up with friends.

Hi, I'm Madeline Muschalik! This is my fourth year in Her Campus; I wrote for Her Campus at Wake Forest University before transferring to UT in fall 2019. Last year I was the Her Campus Texas Co-President and Campus Correspondent & it was so rewarding. I am excited to explore Austin and learn more about our university through Texas Her Campus. Some of my hobbies include running, reading, yoga, and traveling! I am a Public Relations Major and with a minor in Entrepreneurship and certificate in Creative Writing. Outside of Her Campus I am involved in Texas American Marketing Association, Moody Communication Council, a member of the Kendra Scott WEL Institute Student Council, Texas Kappa Delta, and I am a Transfer Year Interest Group (TRIG) mentor. I love UT & all the amazing opportunities (like Her Campus) that it has to offer!
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.