Wait, why do I have Google+?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I ask myself this question every time I check my Gmail and see that little red notification tab. Instead of inciting excitement or curiosity in me like Facebook does, it’s just an annoying little eyesore that I have to click on the make it go away.

And it’s never anything exciting. Example: “Oh look, some people added me to their circles.” That’s all my notifications are, because, just like me, all my friends are doing are adding other people and then sitting and staring at their blank profiles.

My problem with Google+ is that there was way too much time between the day it came out in beta and the day it came out for everyone. By the time it was available to everyone, the hype about Google+ had more than died down.

Google+ is just there now. Why go through the trouble of adding people to new circles when all my friends are already on Facebook? Plus, Facebook has already caught on, starting to offer its own version of “circles.”

Sometimes when Facebook makes another annoying change, one of my friends will mention switching to Google+, and I just laugh, It’s going to take a huge Facebook change that really pisses people off to get them to actually make the jump to Google+ — but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.