A Valentine’s Day Budget with Bevonomics’ Sholeh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Sholeh Abedinzadeh, a Bevonomics Peer Educator in the Office of Student Financial Services, is always telling students how to implement a budget and avoid racking up a lot of debt while in school. Now she’s taking her money expertise and offering her advice on keeping your Valentine’s Day costs low.

HC Texas: What’s your number one piece of advice for how students can keep their Valentine’s Day plans from breaking the bank?
Sholeh Abedinzadeh: No one really likes to hear this, but they have to make a budget. I’m not saying that they have to make an itemized breakdown of what they’re spending money on for the big day. But just setting a limit on what you’re willing to spend can keep you from spending money you don’t have. If you like, decide on a spending limit with your significant other beforehand so neither one of you feels awkward if you spent more/less money. And my rule of thumb: If you don’t have the money– especially if you have to use credit cards instead– then you need to scale down your plans.

HCTX: We always hear the phrase “it’s the thought that counts” when talking about buying gifts. In your opinion, is this true?
SA: I definitely think that the thought that goes into a gift is way more important than how much the gift costs. Some of the best Valentine’s gifts I’ve received in the past have been homemade. Most people are aware that as students, we tend not to have money just laying around for expensive things. Less expensive options, like scrapbooks or handmade cards, can say just as much as jewelry or gourmet chocolates.

HCTX: A lot of couples head out to dinner on the 14th. Do you have any suggestions on how they can save money on their meals?
SA: I would say do your research before booking a reservation or going out. Some restaurants have special dinners for Valentine’s Day, which are generally easy on the wallet. And of course, don’t think you have to go to a fancy restaurant. Some people are just as, if not more comfortable in casual settings. Remember that staying in and cooking together is also an option- and way more intimate! 

HCTX: For those heading out with a group of friends instead of on a date, what kinds of things can they do to have fun?
SA: Yes! Movie marathons are always awesome, and each person can bring a dish to make a Valentine’s potluck. Things like going bowling are always fun– The Union probably has the cheapest bowling in Austin– or maybe even taking a group cooking class. The idea is to do something fun and spend time with the people you love and care about.

Photos:
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.