UT Pride Week Unites Student Organizations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Austin is one of the most progressive cities in the south, so it’s no surprise that UT students are taking initiatives to promote a stronger and safer LGBT community on campus. Monday kicked off the beginning of Pride Week, a week-long educational campaign meant to raise awareness and unite our University’s LGBT community. 

Every year Queer Students Alliance comes together with many other LGBT organizations across the Forty Acres to host Pride Week. Their main goal is to help students, staff, and professors (yes, professors) find their voice and talk openly about their sexuality and concerns in a comfortable, non-threatening environment.

Since its start, Pride Week has grown tremendously, and now encompasses more than 15 events campus-wide that feature both graduate and undergraduate students and alumni. 

In conjunction with Pride Week, Prism, coordinated by QSA, will host an interfaith vigil in honor of LGBT individuals who have committed suicide. The vigil will begin with a prayer service and speaker at the University Catholic Center, Tuesday evening at 7:30p.m. followed by a candlelight procession to Gregory Plaza. 

Be sure to raise your rainbow-colored flag proudly collegiettes, this fall at the annual Austin Gay Pride Festival and Parade in early September.

For more Pride Week events, follow: http://utprideweek.tumblr.com/

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.