TSTV Reporter Mariel Salcedo Discusses College and Celebrities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

While many girls dream of standing inches away from entertainers such as Channing Tatum, Gabrielle Union or Kina Grannis, for sophomore Mariel Salcedo it’s reality. Plainview, Texas native Mariel Salcedo studies radio-television-film, specifically the production track, and is also working toward a Business Foundations certificate at UT. Salcedo works with “Sneak Peek,” an entertainment news show through Texas Student Television. People can say how lucky she is to get an opportunity like this, but for Mariel it is only the product of hard work and dedication. 

When Salcedo first became interested in the radio-television-film program at UT, a friend of hers mentioned the show and convinced her to attend the general meeting for Texas Student Television. Immediately she was infatuated in the industry and yearned to become more involved. With the opportunity to work with “Sneak Peek,” Mariel’s love of production began to grow and ultimately helped her decide what she wanted in a career. She described the experience of interviewing well known people as “awesome” and said that it’s great to see that these celebrities “are really down-to-earth and fun to talk to.” So far, Mariel’s favorite interview was a recent one with Chris Miller and Phil Lord, the directors of “21 Jump Street.” She explained that not only were they really great to engage in a conversation, but they gave helpful advice for aspiring film students, too. 

With her strong communication skills, Mariel stressed that you can’t be “shy or timid, no matter who is on the other side of the camera.” Not only does she have the personality to interview, but she is also always prepared with questions and ready to spark the conversation. As for the future, Salcedo would like to get a job in the entertainment business either in writing, producing, editing or directing. She also has a strong interest in entertainment law. Regardless of what she chooses after graduation, her experience, personality, and determination will likely lead her to success.
Catch “Sneak Peek” on Thursday nights at 9:30 on antenna channel 29.1 and dorm channel 15. Episodes are also available on www.texasstudenttv.com

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.