This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The modern art of storytelling has allowed creators to publish their works in the most innovative and entertaining of ways. An example of this is Webtoon’s beautifully illustrated digital comics that are easy to get through but hard to forget. For those of you who are looking to get into graphic novels/comics but don’t have the time or money to go out and get physical copies, webtoons are a quick and easy way to get started reading illustrated narratives. Here is a list of some of the best webtoons currently available: 

Batman: Wayne Family Adventures

Webtoons don’t necessarily cater to the superhero fandom, but with “Batman: Wane Family Adventures”, fans of the DC universe get a glimpse of the familial side of Batman and his inner circle. With appearances from characters like Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin this webtoon focuses on the bat family through shorts that express their unconventional family dynamics. 

Lore Olympus

The tale of Persephone, Goddess of Spring, and Hades God of the Underworld, is nothing short of a rollercoaster of events and a fantastical love story.  With 1.2 billion views, and a 9.7-star rating, Rachel Smythe’s “Lore Olympus” puts a modern spin on greek mythology that will have you on edge of your seat. 

Alongside captivating plot lines explored through various characters, this story also tackles serious subjects with a subtle and sensitive approach. Not to mention the colorful and vibrant art style that adds an extra layer of originality to the myths. 

Archie Comics: Big Ethel Energy

If you are a Riverdale fan look no further. “Archie Comics: Big Ethel Energy” by Keryl Brown Ahmed introduces fans to the Riverdale, or Archie Comics, cast of characters through the lens of a completely new character named Ethel. 

Unlike “Riverdale,” this fun and quirky webtoon follows Ehtel on her journey to self-acceptance and self-love while also following her search for love in a more romantic sense; which can be difficult when Archie and his friends aren’t always what they appear to be. 

Operation: True Love

Love triangles, complicated family structures, and mysterious vague male characters are just the beginning when it comes to “Operation: True Love”. Dating doesn’t come easy to our main character in this story, Su-ae Shim, especially when it means suffering heartbreak due to the betrayal of her best friend and sister Ra-im. This story is filled with dramatic encounters and embarrassing moments, as well as heartwarming romance that will leave you guessing who Su-ae Shim’s true love is.

The Wrath and the Dawn

Based on the duology by Renée Ahdieh, “The Wrath and the Dawn” takes you on an enchanting tale of redemption, forgiveness, and love against all odds. Sharzad would’ve never imagined finding love would include evading her execution night after night, but her sharp wit and ability to weave together stories allow her to capture the heart of the king who is trying to kill her. But will it be enough?

Ilyanna Santos is an aspiring writer and journalist from Austin, Texas. She is currently studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and is the Marketing and Social Media Director for Shamari Realty. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and having a good cup of tea.