This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Although Valentine’s Day is over, it’s never a bad time to revisit some good old rom-coms. With “Anyone But You” and “No Hard Feelings” coming out, rom-coms are making a comeback which got me thinking: What are the top rom-coms? This list is my personal favorites, ones I have rewatched countless of times. These are the ones that make me cry, gush, and think about the love story unfolding on the screen in front of me.

1. “(500) Days of Summer”

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, “(500) Days of Summer” is one of the most interesting rom-coms. The movie runs in a non-chronological order, making it an interesting watch to see how the “relationship” blossoms and crumbles. It is not only funny and entertaining but also makes you think a bit about relationships and “who’s right?”. Personally, I’m on Summer’s side, which I know is a bit controversial, but give it a few watches and hopefully, you’ll be on my side. 

1. “About Time”

“About Time” is a wonderful and sincere rom-com. It is one of those that always makes me cry, happy and sad. This movie follows Tim Lake (Domhnall Gleeson) when he finds out that the men in his family can time travel. Don’t think too hard about time travel mechanics. It doesn’t make much sense. Beyond that, “About Time” isn’t just a rom-com with Rachel McAdams but a sentimental family drama as well as a ton of charm.

1. “Love Actually”

Some consider this movie to be a Christmas movie but, for me, it is a watch for any time of the year. “Love has one of the most stacked casts with Hugh Grant, Bill Nighy, Liam Neeson, Keira Knightley,  and Thomas Brodie-Sangster along with some of the most iconic scenes like the cards on the doorstep and Billy Mack’s song, Love is All Around. I will admit it is a bit sappy and cheesy at points, especially near the end. It is the ultimate rom-com with every single trope ever. 

1. “Easy A”

“Easy A” is a snarky, sarcastic, and irony-filled movie. It follows Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) as a rumor spreads about her losing her virginity. As the lies get bigger and bigger, the more dramatic it becomes. This movie is filled with witty banter and dialogue that makes it so entertaining to watch and quote with friends.

1. “Set It Up”

Netflix really catapulted the modern rom-com era and although most of them aren’t the best, “Set It Up” really shines. Starring Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch, the movie follows 2 personal assistants trying to set their bosses up. It is full of charm and is a totally comfort movie. The only downside is that Pete Davidson is casted as a gay best friend which is just a bit strange. “Set it up” is some of Powell’s and Deutch’s work and their chemistry shines through, making the movie. It is just the right amount of silly and fun while sentimental and heartfelt, what a rom-com should be.

I'm Athena, a freshman journalism major at The University of Texas at Austin. I've interned at The Dallas Morning News and currently work at The Daily Texan. In my free time, you can find me at spin class, facetiming my friends, or listening to music!