This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Loss happens. Everyone will experience it at some point, but I promise you, nobody is ready for it. Earlier this year, I lost one of my closest friends, Stephanie. Losing her has taught me so much more than I would have ever thought.

My best friend, Madison, and I were really affected by this. At one point, the three of us were inseparable. We all went to high school together and then became even closer in college. The three of us owned 6th Street: that was our thing. Steph was the fighter of the friend group. She made us laugh until we cried and was definitely the bodyguard of the group. She was the crazy and outspoken one, yet, she balanced us out.  

Her funeral ended up being the morning that sno-vid started and for some reason, that made it so much more comforting. Madison and I drove home together and planned to drive back up after the funeral. Instead, the snowstorm trapped us at home for a week after the funeral. As dark as it sounds, we now have this running joke that Stephanie trapped us at home to be with her.  

Through her, I’ve learned to appreciate everyone and everything around me so much more. I’ve learned to truly live life like it’s my last day and not care who is watching. To dance and sing to all my favorite songs at the top of my lungs. I’ve learned love, I’ve learned loss, and I’ve definitely learned what it means to truly cherish the moment.

Steph, I miss you and I love you forever. We’re still blasting UCLA down here for you and I know you’re singing and dancing with Madison and I. Forever and ever and ever.

Love,

Your little lamp

Hey! I'm Gabriella and I'm a senior at UT majoring in psychology, minoring in sociology and pursuing a certificate in forensic sciences. I'm excited for all that this last year brings and I can't wait to write about all my adventures! <3