Tips for the Fall Internship Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It is commonly known that internships are not only a great way to test-drive a career, but also gain contacts within a field of interest.

On Sunday, September 9th the Fall Internship Fair will take place at the AT&T Conference Center from 2-5 P.M. 

Check out some REAL Advice for you Fall Internship here as well as the following advice from students that
have been there.

“Do your research beforehand and make sure you have lots of questions to keep the
conversation moving.” -sophomore Trudie Bruno, public health major

“Be yourself! They want to know you, not the person you’re pretending to be. You can
keep it professional while staying true to who you are.” -sophomore Aaron Blanchard,
biomedical engineering major

“One of the things I learned during my internship at Chicka~d that is transferable to
other internships and careers, is don’t be afraid to ask for something you need.
Communication is a very important skill for the workplace so do it efficiently and as
much as possible. I told my supervisors my goals and expectations for the internship,
and they are tailoring it to my needs very well. I also asked for gas reimbursement.
Their first answer was that ‘No one has ever asked. We’ve never reimbursed our
interns,’ and their next answer was yes!” -Mong Bui, marketing major

“Don’t just list off your accomplishments. Talk about experiences that taught you
something valuable related to that job.” -sophomore Alana Zimmerman, government major

Resource(s):

http://www.campus2careers.com/Iia/

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.