This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I still remember how liberated I felt when I realized I could handle (certain) horror movies. You know those unsettling scenes, like when a character is opening a door and they’re probably not gonna like what’s on the other side? The colors strain, the music crescendoes, and I eat it up. 

At the same time, I also enjoy those thematic movies that aren’t horror, but still center around Halloween, skeletons, tricks and treats, and so on. So, in honor of the scary season, here are three eerie movies that have helped shape me into the cautious yet spooky-loving nerd that I am:

1. Forgotten (2017)

I conveniently came across this South Korean thriller at a time when I was getting into both the horror genre and Korean shows. It was a real challenge convincing myself to press play, so getting through it and uncovering the mystery at the end felt all the more impactful. Forgotten is incredibly dark with a bit of gore I found unnecessary, yet it’s clever and layered and checks all the boxes of a good disturbing narrative.

2. US (2019)

Once I finally watched Get Out — and liked it! — I wanted to check out more of Jordan Peele. The fantastic thing about Us is how an entire mythology is created around the characters of the movie. Us only shows parts of that mythology, so you can’t quite fill in the gaps, leaving you haunted and utterly perturbed. The credits might roll, but the movie doesn’t feel complete…in a good way. I thought “getting chills” was just a figure of speech until I watched Us.

3. The Corpse Bride (2005)

This one isn’t horror, but since The Nightmare Before Christmas tends to circulate at this time of year, I have to shout out this other Tim Burton movie that has a place in my heart. The Corpse Bride is straightforward but enchanting, with a space for humor and goofiness and a poignant animation style. It’s adorable and leaves you feeling good. The last time I watched it I was snuggled up in my bed late at night — perfectly cozy and ready for Halloween to arrive!

Medha Sarin (she/her) is a freshman journalism major at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a K-pop and K-drama fan and a longtime lover of Bollywood music, plus she's gradually entering the Swiftiedom. Her hobbies are watching TV and movies, listening to music and podcasts, and doing yoga (that is, on the rare occasions when she can get herself to exercise).