This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The 2022 spring semester is coming to an end and all I wonder is how are we already at the very end? January was like yesterday and we’re now in May. This is my 4th semester here at The University of Texas, and let me be honest with you, it’s been my hardest. So hard to the point that I questioned if I was good enough or smart enough to be here.

Most of the time, not many people like talking about their struggles, but I’m here to tell you, that you’re not alone.

For many of you reading this, you most likely are worried about some type of assignment. Whether that be a paper or multiple papers, exams that are all on the same day, or just trying to get caught up in all the readings from the semester that you left for the last week of classes.

Let’s be real, I had to drop a class this semester because there was no way for me to pass. It was my government class, and well now I know for next time, that government will need an extra couple of hours for me to do good on.

As much as I didn’t want to drop the course, I feel instant relief when I did.

Don’t be afraid to drop a class, you know your limits. Don’t be afraid to put your mental health first, your health is more important. Don’t overwork yourself, don’t stretch yourself out thin. Just take things one thing at a time.

To give you some form of guidance, here are some ways that have helped me stay sane this stressful week

1. Hogwarts Inspired Studying Playlist – This playlist honestly just transforms my mind to do wonders, to focus, and imagine myself as the main character in my own Harry Potter film. Be your own Main Character.
  2. Studying with my Fuego Familia – I joined a Latinx Spirit Org at UT Austin called Texas Fuego and all the members have been hosting numerous study sessions that last from 6 to 24 hours at the FAC & the most infamous library PCL. It’s best to find a comfortable study place and invite some of your friends so you can make progress together
  3. Chismeando – taking breaks to “chismear” with my Fuego Familia, really just gives me some new sense of energy – So basically take time to just talk it out with your friends.
  4. Making an Agenda – so many assignments are due and on the same day, so planning out my days helps me keep myself on top of things

There are many more ways to stay sane, but just remember to always put yourself first. Things may be complicated, but don’t be too hard on yourself.

Just breathe.

I'm Chantal, a first-Generation college student at The University of Texas at Austin. I come from a Mexican household, and I'm proud of my culture. I'm a daughter of immigrants, navigating this new college world on my own. I hope to encourage other girls to push forward, despite the obstacles.