This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s no secret that society isn’t always nice to women. Women are objectified, ridiculed, and expected to be perfect in every way possible.  They are not good if they aren’t being perfect mothers or perfect housewives or perfect career women. It feels exhausting. It seems like there isn’t time in the day or spirit in our bodies to meet the world’s expectations. 

I suspect we all have a person or group of people who fill these roles in our lives. For me, it’s undoubtedly my mom and I can’t think of a more fitting way to celebrate Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day than by sharing a few of the things I learned from my mother that have influenced me greatly. As you read this I hope you can reflect and remember things your own mother has taught you. 

1. My mother instilled in me the ability to persevere. She advised my sisters and me to never give up, no matter what. My mother ingrained in me the idea that I could do anything I set my mind to. My mother grew up at a time when few people, especially women, attended college. She was even warned she wouldn’t be able to attend college. My mother’s childhood hardships grounded me and showed me that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.
  1. My mother instilled in me the value of loyalty. I’ve done my best to imitate her persistence in any capacity I can. If I begin something, I make every effort to finish it. If I make a promise, I intend to keep it. Mom instilled in us the importance of keeping our word and being faithful to God.
  1. My mother instilled in me the desire to help people. She was always generous to others who were in greater need than we were. Mom made sure everyone was fed and given a place to rest when they arrived at our house.
  1. My mother instilled in me the ability to look after myself. My mother has constantly told me that I can’t take care of others unless I take care of myself first. I prioritize these things, as well as myself, so that I have the energy to care for my loved ones.

There are not enough words to describe how important my mother is in my life. 

This issue of women’s inequality goes far beyond this one particular day. We cannot just acknowledge their importance once a year, then move on with our lives, nothing much will change. 

Hello! I’m Shikha and I am a freshman at UT Austin studying business. This is my first year on staff. Some things I like doing in my free time are trying out aesthetic and cute coffee places around town, paddle boarding, and calligraphy. I also really enjoy traveling! Unfortunately, due to COVID, I haven’t been able to travel this year. But, some of my favorite places has been Honolulu, Hawaii, and Venice, Italy. I love good quality family time with my pup, Andy. My all-time favorite thing in this world is coconut water.