The First Page of my Short Story; Through and Through.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

So, I’ve always loved writing; creative writing, fiction, non-fiction, essays, and anything else. Since I’ve started school though, I haven’t had much time for creative writing. But yesterday I had an idea for a short story and sat down and started writing. Here is a rough draft sample of my first page from my story Through and Through. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Through and Through by Kirsten Corrigan

Cecilia’s favorite colors are purple and grey. The twinkle of lilac flowers, plums, and the coral reef. The mystery that lays within each cloud, particle of ash, and a beam of moonlight. The cosmic combination of the purples and greys found in thunderstorms is her favorite. She finds them terrifying when outside, but fascinating and bewitching when inside. Ironically enough, most people view her in a similar fashion. There is no question about Cecilia’s ethereal beauty. Her wavy auburn hair cascading down her back boasts her athletic physique. Her fair skin only highlights the flickers of honeycomb gold in her hazel-green eyes. With a narrow forehead and high cheekbones, her beauty is unwittingly intimidating to those around her. 

She doesn’t have a lot of close friends, but it doesn’t bother her. She has her father Henry, her twin sister Alice, and her best friends Hannah and Asher. Her father, Mr. Henry Murray-Mulligan, works as a pilot for Alaskan Airlines, based in Homer, Alaska. Although he isn’t home a lot, he always makes the effort to ensure the girls know they are loved and wanted by him. Cecilia doesn’t have many memories of her mother because Mrs. Elora Murray-Mulligan passed away when the girls were only three-years-old. Mr. Murray-Mulligan always has trouble talking about her but tries to when the girls ask. From what she knows though, Cecelia is definitely more like her mother than her father. Her father is many things; charismatic, kind, gentle, charming, and witty, but certainly not a renegade by any standard. There’s nothing wrong with that of course. In fact, many people prefer his personality type. He is always genuine, laidback, and an overall good guy. Interesting too, but more on that later.

Her mother on the other hand was a force to be reckoned with. Although Cecilia only knows bits and pieces of her mother’s life, even just the basics are mystifying. 

“Elora was an author.”

“She had crazy adventurous passions like outdoor rock-climbing!”

“She was sharp, intelligent. You not only have your mom’s beauty but her brain as well.”

“She had a dry and slightly dark sense of humor, almost self-deprecating, but never mean.” 

Essentially, Elora Murry-Mulligan was a badass.

——-

And that is the start of my short story called Through and Through! I hope you guys enjoyed this little slice of fiction. Let me know if you want to read more.

Kirsten Corrigan (she/her) is serving her second year as Campus Correspondents with Her Campus at Texas. She is a Junior Government major at The University of Texas at Austin. She intends to pursue law school after her undergraduate degree. She enjoys writing, being outdoors, traveling, and watching movies in her free time.