Life > Academics

The Best Class I’ve Taken (So Far) At UT Austin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The best class I’ve taken at UT Austin is Classics of Social and Political Thought (GOV314E). The course “explores the origins of social scientific thought in the history of political philosophy,” and has students read authors such as Locke, Hobbes, and Rousseau. To learn more, click here for the course description.

The section I’m in this semester is taught by Assistant Professor of Government, Nathaniel Gilmore, and his lectures are wholly captivating. More so, they encourage active learning, with friendly and sometimes fierce participation! Full disclosure, the course is reading and writing heavy, but the texts we work with make it a labor of love.

I highly recommend this class for those in the Jefferson Scholars Program, as it’s one of many brilliant classes offered to us, but it’s open to all students. If you need government credit or want a one-of-a-kind academic challenge (that’s still fun), consider taking GOV314E!

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.