This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

In my free time, I write letters to my pen pal and friend of nearly a decade but it comes in handy now that we live in different states. Our letters range in length and topics, from the mundane to important life updates. Nevertheless, it cheers me up when I open my mailbox and find a letter addressed from them to me. If you’re interested in how to begin your letter-writing era, which I highly recommend, here are a few helpful tips!

Pick a friend, relative, etc. to Write to

I tend to write to my friend, Raina, but am now making an effort to send the occasional postcard and/or letter to my mom and grandparents. Trust me, it’ll cheer them up to hear from you in this personal manner!

Write as much (or as little) as you, please

Once again, my friend Raina can attest to this. Sometimes my letters are two pages long and other times they are half of a paragraph in length but that’s the beauty of letters after all. As you’re entering your author era, you decide what you want to share and how much space it’ll take up on a page.

Be creative!

Use every supply at your disposal! I like doodling in the margins of my letters and adding fun stickers. It makes me happy to be creative in this way and gives life to the letter. Grab all your art supplies and stationery!

Come Up with a signature sign-off

Whether it be “Yours Truly” or “Smell ya later,” try out a few options and stick to the one that feels the most like you!

Buy Cute stamps

I have these lovely floral stamps and it really adds the finishing touch to the letters I send out!

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.