This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If your mind is a little foggy, and your breathing gets a little too hard to do, take a moment with me to stand still in time, and observe. In this journey towards better mindfulness, I’ve been working on taking a moment to simply be present, and I encourage you to do the same. 

Looking out the window, I can hear the sounds of sirens and birds clashing. I see the leaves sprouting from the branches in the big tree by the balcony. The sky beyond looks a little gray, a consequence from the light drizzle this morning. In my room, I hear the steady hum of the vents and fans keeping me cool. I feel the soft blankets, and the buttons beneath my fingers as I type my observations. The tapestry in front of me subtly sways as the wind moves through it, the image of a whale looking like it’s moving through the waves. I can see the pile of clothes on my chair, evidence of me rushing to leave for work. The clothes in my closet are somewhat organized, a result of trying to get my life together yesterday. This room isn’t the one I grew up in, but there are traces of my past self embedded in the details. Like the picture of my sister and I on vacation. Or the poster my dad gave me because he had an extra copy. The rather large speaker everyone loves to blast music out of. And the pile of books at my desk. None of the ones I used to love, but new ones I’d like to read. 

Sometimes, distractions make me forget myself. I have to be reminded that a younger me once was curious about the world, and by doing so, I am reminded there is a lot to be curious about. I remind myself to continue to be interested, to continue to wonder, and to continue to grow without letting go of the best parts of me. 

If you are reading this, I hope you take some time to put down your phone. For thirty seconds. To look around you. Observe your surroundings, and observe the thoughts that come about because of it. In this process, I hope you learn a little bit more about yourself.

My name is Sophia Gutierrez, I am a sophomore IRG transfer student. I enjoy reading, painting, and listening to music!
Chandler is a senior at UT double majoring in English and Chinese while pursuing a Certificate in Global Management. She currently serves as one of HerCampus Texas' Campus Correspondents and adores live music, dogs, friends, and mindful living ♥